Fish Behavior after PWC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've done a few water PWC within the last week or so as regular maintainence and now to treat a parasite infection. I discovered late last week that my new Rope had some little worms that needed to be tended to. :twisted:

Anyway, I've been noticing some 'weird' (for me anyway) behavior after the PWC. All of the fish are swimming with their 'own kind'. Usually the Gouramis (I have 2 Pearl, 2 Gold, and 1 Opaline) are spread out throughout the tank as are the Rams, but after the PWC they literally swim circles around each other. There's no chasing or nipping it's almost like they're dancing or something. It's a very odd to see, at least for me as this is something new. Do any of you experience this?

Also, as a side question. I'm worried that doing to many PWC will mess up my levels. How soon after a PWC can you test the water and get accurate readings?

My fish race around after a pwc, I attribute it to being happy to have a clean tank.

You can test your tank parameters a couple of hours after a pwc. The longer you wait the better but you can tell after a couple of hours.

Zagz is right...a couple hours should be the soonest you check. Gives everything a chance to settle down and you are more likely to get an accurate reading.
Even my goldfish have a blast after the pwc. Heck, they try "shooting the tube" which is an attempt to ride up the gravel vac!

You can never do too many water changes. I'd wait about 2 or 3 hours before checking the water.

Back
Top Bottom