Fish capacity/filter requirements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScotJudd

Aquarium Advice Addict
I can highly recommend aqadvisor.com to see if your tank is stocked correctly and if the filters are adequate. It also give tips on numbers of each species if yours is incorrect (especially for shoaling fish). Save the completed page as a bookmark and it will pull up your last enquiry when you return - so if you want to theoretically add more stock then you can see the effect. I presume that it would also warn of inappropriate fish for your set up and present tank stock.
My final stocking level came out at 51% and filter capacity at >500%, which is great as flow rates fall dramatically leading up to a filter clean.
I had a few tips on increasing a few species to make them more confident together.
It takes a little while to input the data but it's a one off job and later amendments are really quick and easy.
Go on - try it!

They should somehow get plants in there. Maybe just something simple like lightly, average, heavily. Because having a heavily planted tank helps with filtration.

Totally agree about the plant issue. IMO adding plants helps all aspects of the tank.
I suppose for guys/gals new to fish keeping it is a good starting point as stocking level questions are very frequent on the forum.

I saw your post title, and was going to respond check on AqAdvisor, that's great for filtration advices, it calculate fish load according to their adult max sizes.

The more flow you have = more O2 in water, it's great for fish only, bad for heavy planted tank (or high light setups).

Back
Top Bottom