Fish Choices for my 90gal planted tank....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquariumFreak

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey Gang,

Well I started to make a list of fish I might want to put in the tank with my wife and this is what we came up with:

5 - Otocinclus Algae Eater 
3 - Siamese Algae Eaters
1 - Candy Stripe Pleco  
1 - Queen Arabesque Pleco
2 - Red Cherry Shrimp
2 - Rudolph Red-Nosed Shrimp
5 - Pristella/X-ray Tetra
5 - Blood-Fin Tetra
8 - Cardinal Tetra
8 - Harlequin Rasbora
2 - Swordtail
2 - Dwarf Gourami
2 - Pearl Gourami
4 - Angelfish

What do you think? will these work together?

Thanks for the feedback,

Jeff

I picked up 2 pearl gouramis they are kind of shy at first but then they livin up with in a few days. They are a good addition to any community tank. I really just started getting back into this hobby so I don't know about the others.

I am personally not a big gourami fan, but everything else sounds cool. If it were me, I'd cut the rasboras, and stick to 2, maybe 3 groups of tetras. I don't know how gourami's and angels go together, someone else may have to chime in here.... I don't know if its cardinals or neons that serve as angel food in the wild. To me, they're pretty similar, so you may want to look into that.

Have you considered any dwarf cichlids? They love planted tanks. With consistent water changes, I don't feel they are that hard to keep. Apistogramma borelli and apistogramma cacatuoides are good starter ones. The cacatuoides have nice bright fins. I also adore rams. Dwarf cichlids just have a lot of personality. They're my favorite fish, so I had to put my little plug in. :wink:

I fun game I played when building my tanks was to search for as many planted tank setups as possible, then see what people stocked in them. I seem to enjoy procrastination of school work.

HTH

Well after talking to Mr. Burns (Thank You Again), I have narrowed down my list to the flowing:

2 - Otocinclus Algae Eater 
4 - Siamese Algae Eaters
1 - Queen Arabesque Pleco
5 - Red Cherry Shrimp
7 - Pristella/X-ray Tetra
12 - Harlequin Rasbora
6 - Angelfish

How does this list look to everyone?

I'm glad to see the Gouramis gone, since I hear they can get nasty. The only thing I will add is get the otos last. They need an established tank and lots of food!

if i had a 90g i would most likely expand one of my 55g biotopes. not sure which one though. i like both the south american and asian tanks, but would most likely go with the south american. there are a wide variety of cories, tetras, plecos, and cichlids (etc) that i wouldnt mind adding to my tank.

Don't try to fill it up all at once. A couple of weeks after it is full, you will wish you had room for a school of (insert name of beautiful fish here) you saw at the LFS. Well, I guess we all will always have that problem. :?

well now that the woman wants "color" we have put together this list:

Otocinclus Algae Eater 
Siamese Algae Eaters
Queen Arabesque Pleco
Red Cherry Shrimp
Pristella/X-ray Tetra
Swordtail
Dwarf Gourami
Pearl Gourami
Guppy
Honey Gourami
Platy

Keep in mind. Most Cherry shrimp are only 1/2" long when purchased and only get an inch, full grown. Could be some rather expensive fish food.

Red Cherries are great shrimp. They feed on a variety of algae. Sadly, you rarely see them. Mine hide in the plants, feeding on algae. Cherries kinda walk very slowly. If you want some shrimp that swim a lot, like ghost shrimp. Get the Rudolf red nosed. They eat a variety of algies as well and are more active/enjoyable to watch.

I think the angels or possibly the gouramis are going to eat the shrimp. Might try some cheap ghost shrimp first. If they do well, purchase the expensive Cherries or Rudolfs. 3-5$ a piece is preaty expensive for tiny shrimp. Ghost shrimp usually run .25$ each.

Just a thought :wink:

Back
Top Bottom