Fish cold?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cyid

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gallon tank. Currently all my other fish are swimming around happily. All except my rainbow shark. He has been "floating" behind the heater since I put in a new TopFin 50W.

I used to have a shatter proof MarineLane but even tho I had it set to 82 degrees (It can get cold in the office over night) the tank would stay around 74 (during the day) and that was with the temp tag right by the heater.

I put the new TopFin in and now the temp is around 84 during the day and all my other fish are swimming around happily instead of hanging around the heater. But now my Rainbow Shark is floating behind it and looks to be dying.. Barely comes out to eat, he used to swim around the bottom all the time. He doesnt look an different (growths or spots or anything) that I can tell.

What could be wrong? Is he too cold? Sick? I tested my tank and all the levels seem perfect. And once a week I do a 1 gallon water swap. I empty out a gallon, then fill up a gallon container with the tap water at the office, then add "Stability" by Searchem to the container and wait. then add the water.

I usually feed them twice a day with flakes and sometimes mix bloodworms in.

You need to use 'Prime' not 'Stability'. Prime will remove the chlorine, which is toxic to fish, that might be your problem.

How long has your tank been setup? When you say your test levels 'seem perfect', what are the exact numbers? What test kit are you using?

Also, your rainbow shark will soon outgrow the 10g, if it hasnt already. Rainbow sharks can reach 6", this means 55g min.

Another thing is your thermometer. Buy yourself a glass one, they are far more accurate.

Last edited:
Thanks

I will grab some Prime today and a glass thermometer (know of a good way to remove the old sticky ones?).

Rainbow shark is only about 2" if that. I am going to move him to my 70g once I have it setup (Have to finish cleaning it)

Test Results
Using API 5 in 1 Aquarium Test Strips
General Hardness (GH) 60
Carbonate Hardness (KH) 0
pH seems to be between 6.0 and 6.5
Nitrite (NO2) 0
Nitrate (NO3) between 40-80, closer to 80 (it was closer to 40 yesterday)

Am I reading correctly that your temp is at 84?

If so, that is too high for most any fish outside of discus or fish being treated for ich.

I'd also up your water changes to get NO3 down under 20. What fish do you have in there? With NO3 increasing at that rate, I suspect it is overstocked / overfed.

Thanks(know of a good way to remove the old sticky ones?).

Single-edged razor blade and some rubbing alcohol.

Test Results
Using API 5 in 1 Aquarium Test Strips
General Hardness (GH) 60
Carbonate Hardness (KH) 0
pH seems to be between 6.0 and 6.5
Nitrite (NO2) 0
Nitrate (NO3) between 40-80, closer to 80 (it was closer to 40 yesterday)

Ditch the strips and get the API Freshwater Master kit. It's cheaper per test and the liquid reagent test kit is more accurate. I also second doing more or larger water changes. 20ppm of nitrate is the most I ever want to see in my tanks.

Of course, I could of read the test wrong or maybe didnt wait long enough before doing the reading

4 tiger barbs (most are small, less than an inch)
rainbow shark

Over the weekend when I am not in I throw ghost shrimp in and they get eaten by Monday

*edit I have had the fish in the tank for about a month now

This is my first tank, so I appreciate all the help. My Dad used to have the 70g, but I never knew all the little details

No worries. We like talking fish! :)

They'll be fine for awhile, but the barbs and shark will both need a larger tank fairly soon. Tiger barbs are very active, nippy, boisterous fish and I'd recommend a 29 or larger. Then you could increase their number up to 8 or so to spread the aggression.

Have you read the basics of the nitrogen cycle? Sorry, if this is redundant, but it is one of the most critical things to understanding aquaria husbandry so I wanted to check.

Yeah, a few times. At first I didnt get it, but I think I got it now

Ok, got some Prime, a glass thermometer, Master Test Kit and some Stress Zyme+ for NO2/NO3

Going to do a test after I finish eating

Also.. temp is showing 82 right now.. Should I keep cooling it down to be lower or should that work? (The office can get cold at night)

pH 7.6 (So then I did a High pH Test)
(High Test) pH 8.0
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 0 ppm

Per the Master Kit

So, I turned the TopFin off and am using the MarineLand again... He is still behind the TopFin heater.. maybe he is hiding?

they do like having places to hide out if they are anything like the RTS. personally i would think about taking it back or look into upgrading quickly.

Love your sig..

Temp is down to 74 again. He is still hiding and not moving much.

I cant return him, he is my favorite :(

they get to be about 6 inch or so. i would start looking on CL for a cheap tank to upgrade.

Like I said, I got a 70 gallon I am prepping for my home.

Gah.. he doesnt look any better.

He keeps draping himself over one of the heater suckies and is like in an up side down U.. doesnt even come out during feedings

Back
Top Bottom