Fish compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua McFin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I searched for an answer to this question , but could find none! Please forgive me if it has been asked.

I have a 20-gallon cycled freshwater tank:
Ammonia- 0
Nitrate- 0
Nitrite- 0
pH- 7.1

The tank currently holds one 2" comet goldfish. How he came to be living in this small of a tank is a long and unfortunate story that I will not bore you with, but suffice it to say that he is probably better off than the 5-gallon tank he was living in previously. Regardless, I do the best I can for him (1x weekly 50% water change, no overfeeding, etc.), but this tank size will be the end of the road for him, since I can not have anything larger where I am currently living.

Now, my question is this: I would like to add some other fish, but I do not know if this is wise due to space; or, if this is possible, what types will be compatible with my goldfish?

If I do get some tank mates, I will also purchase a second filter. Could someone kindly advise me? Thank you in advance!

I'm not sure if you could put any more fish in there, but if you put the 2nd filter on there you may be able to put some white clouds in there.

Unfortunately, two goldfish is already overstocked. They are highly messy and unfortunately it's only one to a twenty gallon tank. There are no other tank mates that can go in there. I know this isn't the answer you wanted, so sorry! :(

One comet goldfish is actually too much for a 20g. These are pond fish IMO, but they could fit in a much larger tank I guess.

However, when they are small, it's not a big deal, just make some near future plans to get him into a much larger tank or pond.

I don't really like making stock plans for temporary/short term because it's pretty much anything goes, since it's all going to change in short time.

If you make plans to move the comets in the near future I'd just stock the 20 like I would if they weren't there to begin with, but obviously I'd move them out around the same time I'd move the new fish in.

Goldfish are far from my specialty, I have a single Koi in the pond in my front yard, so I'm just advising compatibility based on their potential size.

Thank you for the additional info. I will then try to find him a more suitable home in a pond. Just to clarify, it is only one comet in the 20-gallon tank, and he is still quite little (2"), so I hope he will be fine where he is for a week or two until I find a larger space for him.

I do appreciate all of the help and wonderful information available here.

Just a quick question: when you get rid of the commet are you going to put any more fish in there?

An update on the original post: I found a lovely little koi pond for my comet soon after, and it will surely suit him. As for the 20-gallon tank, I began to re-stock it within 24 hours with 5 harlequin rasporas. I added 5 long-finned red minor tetras after a week; then finally, one male dwarf gourami. Nothing fancy, but they are interesting little fish, and are keeping me entertained.

Aspencer, you were correct regarding the nitrAtes: I am currently using the strips that I received with the tank (which, as often discussed, are notorious for their inaccuracy). The nitrAte level was <20, but slightly >0. Sorry for the misrepresentation of data!

Back
Top Bottom