Fish develop ICH after months in the tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rossmort

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I have a 5.5g tank w/ 1 betta, 2 corries and 1 small pleco. The tank is filtered by a AC200 so the water is definitly NOT dirty but I just noticed that there are which spots on the betta. The spots are mostly on his fins but it seems like there are a couple on his body. I just introduced a Banana plant into the tank but it came from a plant only tank. Hmmm, I am just stuck because I don't know why he would be getting something like that! Any help would be appreciated.

I have read all about getting rid of ICH but I just don't understand how it would come now! If that is what it is. I will get some pics up soon.

Hi,

First off, that's 1 small pleco too much, especially if you have no large tank to put it when he grows.
I suggest to move it or return it. If at all, use a oto.

Now on ich: ich is always present in the tank, but most of the time, the fishes are immune to it. Stress and bad water quality/maintenance can cause them to fall prey of ich. So, I suggest that you give us your params (ammonia,nitrite,nitrate, maintenance, pH and Temp) so that we could identify a potential reason for ich.

Since you have cories and a pleco, I think that the temperature method is best. Some ich medics are not suitable for this kind of fishes.

Yeah, i have a 125g that the pleco will go into. He is about an inch and the corries are too. I do regular water changes every 2-4 days. I forgot my test kit at home (this is in my dorm) so I can't give params right now. I also have a crappy heater in it that I can't raise the temp :-( I just tried to take some pictures but the betta is bright red and the camera just can't get him very good. I am going to try another roommates camera when he gets back.

he is a some species of leopard pleco (Can't remember for sure:wink:) and he is only supposed to get to be 2-3 inches anyways--I don't think there is much wrong with keeping him. He has a big piece of driftwood that he lives in and is happy :) I am more concered with my beta and his white dots.

I am not sure about this 2-3 inches limit... And it is not only an issue of size but of natural environment. Cories and plecos are not made for a 5.5g. As for being happy, the more I am in this hobby, the more I realize that nobody *knows* whether their fishes are happy. I doubt it personally.

As for the betta and white dots, I cannot help more now. Do water changes over the next 2 days, and see if it changes.

astroguy said:
I am not sure about this 2-3 inches limit... And it is not only an issue of size but of natural environment. Cories and plecos are not made for a 5.5g. As for being happy, the more I am in this hobby, the more I realize that nobody *knows* whether their fishes are happy. I doubt it personally.

Ok, fair enough--We all have our opinions in this hobby.

Hey rossmort!
Take the betta out of that tank until you are sure you know what he has!! Can you get to a LFS to get your water tested?
As for the bioload in your tank, if you are doing water changes that often and have a tank for the pleco to go into later, then you are fine. You may want to double check his expected growth at planet catfish. I knew someone that kept a common pleco in a one gal tank in the office and I don't think she had another tank :evil:.
I wrote a thread about ich and how it is often present in the tank and there are no ill effects on the fish. ( http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewt...t=0&postdays=&postorder=&highlight=ich thread ) Not everyone agreed with me, but I feel my research was solid.

Found my pleco and they say a max length of 3.2"
http://planetcatfish.com/catelog/loricari/peckolti/179_f.php

I am going to run to walmart and grab something to put my betta in. I really don't want to buy a heater other than an ebo but I might have to "borrow" one from them. (Buy and take back). Thanks for the help. Now to try to lick the ick!

Since I know that the ICH is in the tank---Would it be a better idea to treat the whole tank w/ heat rather than QT the betta? Thanks!

Theres a slight possibility the ich came in with the banana plant; if it came from a lfs its quite possible ich got into that tank (is why using the same equipment for many tanks can be a prob *sigh). Its also possible there has been a low grade ich infestation in the tank all this time, but its rearing its ugly head now. Stress would be why; changes in temps play a big part. I wonder if the temps aren't as closely matched when you water change?

I'd personally treat the entire tank if you're sure its ich. Tis what I do.

Thank you, just got a better heater and it will be going in now.

Wow, so my walmart heater really shot up over night. I put it in and watched it for around 3 hours and the temp. raised only 1 degree. I went to sleep and got up around 5am to check it. It was now at 84!!!! Was at about 79. I tapped it down a bit hoping to stabalize it but when I got up it was exactly at 86. I know that increasing the temp that fast is NOT good but there isn't much I can do now.

Strange though because the Betta and his spots are very much already going away! He has very few left. I didn't think that it would work that fast but I guess so. I did add a little salt but I am going to do a water change in a bit for the sake of the corries. I just wanted to hit the tank quick and try to get rid of the stupid parasite.

Yeah, I hear around 2 weeks is a good amount of time. I was just really suprised how fast I saw results. Thanks for all the help guys--Now I just have to hope that the unexpected rapid change in Temp didn't hurt the little guys as much as it did the ICH. I would have been sad had my betta been lost, the little guy has been around for a while and they really do grow on you when you start to see their personality.

Actually, it wasn't the temp that made the spots go away LOL although the timing was pretty darn good!

Since ich has a cycle, there reaches a point where the parasites on the body of the fish break out and fall to the bottom to encyst themselves; chances are that was the point that you raised the temp. The good part is the tank is now NOT a good environment for the parasites once they pop out of the cysts and go looking for a host; the heat should do em in :) Don't be surprised if you see a few more breakouts tho; generally it takes 4-5 days to really rid the tank of most of the nasty buggers.

Back
Top Bottom