Fish died...need an advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kotenok

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello this morning one of my fishes died, the one I just recently purchased. It had some redish stripes on her sides.... What should I do next? Will it affect the health of my other fishes? Should I add some sort of medication to the aquarium? Really need you help guys.... Thank you

Need more information, such as water parameters, type of fish, size of tank, tank mates, how fish was introduced, if any visible problems.

Need more information, such as water parameters, type of fish, size of tank, tank mates, how fish was introduced, if any visible problems.

Fish tank is 55g, not sure what kind of fish... I was told they will help with cycling. Parameters: ammonia, nitrite and nitrate 0, ph 7.6. the fish that died was with red marks on sides, but since it was swimming perfectly fine I thought that I am just overreacting, so I left it in the tank.

Also check your receipt to see if there is any guarantee.

I will be able to return them after four weeks and receive a credit store. I am not worried about this particular fish, I am worried about other fishes... are their health in danger due to what happened?

Can you post a pic of the fish so we can ID them? What type of tests are you using (liquid or strips)? What type of water conditioner are you using? Is the tank planted? If its not, I dont believe you are cycled because you have zero nitrates unless its a testing error.

Can you post a pic of the fish so we can ID them? What type of tests are you using (liquid or strips)? What type of water conditioner are you using? Is the tank planted? If its not, I dont believe you are cycled because you have zero nitrates unless its a testing error.

I am using API liquid master testing kit... I thought that nitrates 0 is a good thing... I will post a pic of a dead fish a little bit later so maybe we can identify the cause of a death, but a t the same time I bought it with those singes already.

Can you post a pic of the fish you still have so we can help you ID them? Zero nitrates is not normal unless the tank is heavily planted. It indicates your tank is not cycled because nitrates are the end product of the nitrogen cycle. Make sure you really shake & bang the nitrate bottles on a hard surface for a few minutes before testing to rule out a testing error.

I need more information on this question to help you properly. Send me an email with all your hobby uses in regard to your tank and I will render you an answer and results.

Fish tank is 55g, not sure what kind of fish... I was told they will help with cycling. Parameters: ammonia, nitrite and nitrate 0, ph 7.6. the fish that died was with red marks on sides, but since it was swimming perfectly fine I thought that I am just overreacting, so I left it in the tank.

So there are other fish in the tank? If the tank isn't cycled yet I would only use the fish you have currently, not add any more. It's possible that the fish you got was already sick from the store. I would't add medications until you know for sure other fish are infected. Have you read the guide on fish-in cycling? I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Can you post a pic of the fish you still have so we can help you ID them? Zero nitrates is not normal unless the tank is heavily planted. It indicates your tank is not cycled because nitrates are the end product of the nitrogen cycle. Make sure you really shake & bang the nitrate bottles on a hard surface for a few minutes before testing to rule out a testing error.

Here is the pic:
img_1855301_0_be37569f37afff6886288d28b490ec99.jpg

Once again, I bought it like this. And since swimming and appetite was good, I assumed it's fine. It died the next day.
My other fishes are good so far, hopefully it's not contagious.

Looks like an ammonia or nitrite burn, or perhaps a bacterial infection. It was likely already sick when you got it (some LFSs keep their fish in horrid conditions, unfortunately).

Back
Top Bottom