fish dieoff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrp1588

Aquarium Advice Addict
You may remember me saying how I bought 3 new GBR. well it seems they carried with them some ich. Anyway, the ich spread through the tank like wildfire, so I turned up the temp to about 85 over several days. Didn't help. All but one molly died. All the GBR's died. and my favorite male angelfish died. Needless to say, I'm furious. Currently the survivors are 1 angel, 1 molly, 1 platy, 3 ottos (all in a bad way), and 2 corys (totally unaffected). So, basically I'll be starting over....I want to forever get away from livebearers, so boring. What are your suggestions? I could return the remaining angel for some credit to widen my possibilities.

not only that but I believe the idea is to not introduce the fish to sudden temperature changes.
If you bump your heater up to the temperature you want straight away it will raise itself slowly anyway with minimal shock.
whats a GBR? and what size is the tank?

The temp has to be ABOVE 86 to cure ich. 85 isn't quite hot enough.

I have treated ich 2-3 times successfully in this manner and in both cases i just turned up the heater and by the next day the temp was at the right temp and i left it that way for 2 weeks. No casualities.

Anyway... is your tank planted jrp??? You could stick with angelfish and plan a tank around that if its what you like

I read several places that said 85 or above...guess I looked at the wrong places....I suppose I can use the store credit from the GBR's (german blue rams) to buy one of that places nice fancy adult angels. Hopefully i can manage to get a male...and maybe a Koi angel! Hopefully i can get a gift card from them since I don't want to introduce any new fish into a ichfilled tank. *sigh* just when I thought I was getting good at all this. :( At least the mbuna tank is thriving.

Back
Top Bottom