Fish dying suddenly - established tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buminbeer2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
29 Gallon tank
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - under 40
pH - about 7.2
Temp - 80

I moved an established tank more then 4 weeks ago and so a 100% water change. I change about 5-10 gallons a week using stress coat + before dumping the water in. Also, have two filter hob, each rated for 70 gallons and more then a year old, never change the filters. When I moved the tank 70 miles, I kept all the rocks/plants/filters in old water in a cooler as to not break the cycle.

I started losing fish after introducing a betta and 4 danios about 4 days ago. I lost 2 danios within a day. The next day the betta died. Followed by 4 purple moscow guppies the next day. This morning two corys were dead.

Remaining fish, 10 neon tetras, one cory, one swordtail and 3 of some other tetra. I was far from being overloaded with the seasoned filters, also have an airstone bar in the back and this is a planted tank, here comes questions I have.

The fish appeared healhly before dying. I did notice one of the new danios had a little white fungus on it's mouth and it was one that died. I noticed no fungus on any of the established dead fish, but on several (one cory, two danios) noticed the gills were bleeding or had bleed. I see no ich present or fungas on remaining fish so far. The last two days been putting melaflex in the water as well as adding more stress coat.

Possible things that make me think and maybe one mistake:
1: I put the bags in the tank that the betta was in and the new danios. He wrote on the bag in black marker the price of the fish, could something have tranferred in that way?
2: I never have done this and don't know why, I put the betta in without the water from the bag, but for some reason I dumped the water in from the danio bag with the fish (I know, don't yell). Could I have introduced something via water.
3: I moved in to help my elderly mother and see has been feeding them. Something could have been on her hands like soap, I'll never know?

That's all I can think of. My 15 gallon in another room is doing fine with about 10 purple moscow guppies, babies and teens, but afraid to move them in the larger tank for now. So I don't think it is the water or stresscoat +?

What else can I test for and what should I do. Strange no neons have died as they are not as hardy as the guppies and danios and corys (other then the guppies are inbreed of course and that has it's own issues).

PLEASE help me in what you gurus think of that I have not. I was thinking of doing a 100% water change again, I'll see what you guys come up with.
Thanks all and let's save the fish together :)

It most likely came in with the new additions, Quarantine is something we all need to do, before introducing anybody in the main tank. The water most likely contained mouth fungus, or some other fun thing. I'd look to each fish and see if we can figure out what bug happened in on your tank. Bleeding gills? hmm, sounds like ammonia poisoning. are you sure about the readings?

I would normally agree with you about ammonia poisoning, but I used two different api kits and reading 0 on both. Also, I would think the nitrates/nitrites would read higher. I also just did a 10 gallon water change about two hours ago.

To help this further along, in the last hour I lost a neon tetra and my last cory. Notes:
The cory was an albino and I noticed red/blood on it's right gill.
The tetra lost color on about 1/2 it's right side and turned whiteish in color on that side only. I'm starting to get upset at this point.

It sounds like a fungus, but only affecting the gills of 1/2 the fish and the other lose color in certain sides or spots.

Help :)

Back
Top Bottom