Fish Dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adamp

Aquarium Advice Newbie
NEED HELP

I am a new aquarium owner and have had my 50gal tank for about a 5 weeks now. I have 2 bala sharks, 2 rainbow fish, 2 angel fish, 2 gourami and 4 tiger barb. all seem to be getting along good. My fish are starting to die though both sharks died then a couple day later 1 rainbow died and today 2 barbs died. I have done weekly water changes of 10% and added prime everytime. i did a 50% percent change yesterday to help lower ammonia and nitrite levels but doesnt seem to be changing. The tank is showing a little sign of brown algae. As for my filter I am running one for a 70g tank with charcoal, bio pack, emmonia pack & sponge. What am I doing wrong or what can I do so that my other fish dont die. My Water levels are as follows
Ammonia 0.6
ph 7.5
Nitrite 1.6
Nitrate 20
gh 180
kh 240

I'm no expert but whenever that happens to my tank, I go to a local pet store and have them check my water and usually they will recommend some chemical to help the tank like aqua safe/water conditioner/easy balance/ph stabilizer etc. usually adding that into the tank every time you do a water change will help out...

hope this helped! :)

Your water levels aren't bad but maybe daily 50% pwc are needed. Maybe confirm with a lfs or other water test kit to make sure your test are accurate. Sorry for your losses.

Weekly water changes of 10% are not enough as you seem to be not fully cycled. Nitrite is lethal to fish. Do daily water changes of 25-50% to keep the ammonia to 0. After the tank is cycled, no ammonia or nitrite, weekly water changes of 50% will maintain it.

You don't need anything more than dechloriantor in the tank. Charcoal in the filter is not necessary either. The brown algae is diatoms which will go away when the tank is cycled. Stick with it, you are just going through the natural cycling process. Extra water changes will ease the stress on your fish.

Do as Zags said. What test kit are you using? If it's strips they aren't as accurate as the API Master liquid kit. Nitrites are fairly high as well. Test your tap water for ammonia and nitrite to see what you're starting with as well. If the tap tests are 0 for those (or at least less than what the tank reads) you'll need to start increasing the water changes. Here's a couple of links for you:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Tested tap water and ammonia and nitrite are 0. I am using the master liquid kit already. I did a 25% water change yesterday and will do another today, The ammonia seems to be going down a little but nitrite is on the rise nitrite is around 2.

With nitrite at 2 I'd do a larger water change, do a 50%, then wait a couple of hours. If it's still over .5 (which it probably will be), do another 50% water change.

Thanks librarygirl the links were very helpfull. So by the sound of it the ammonia starting to drop and nitrite level rising are all part of the cycle.

This forum helped me so much more then i would have ever thought. Just keep posting and everyone here will help if they can. The same people that have just helped you right now were the same that helped me. I have had 3 tanks up and going now for 5 months and love all of them.

Back
Top Bottom