Fish Flashing, Maybe Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abw0004

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello All,
I have a 25 Gallon Fluval Accent tank with a breeding pair of German Blue Rams, Neon Tetras, Glolight Tetras (not the blacklight kind), Clown Pleco and nerite snails in it. It is also planted and has been running for 2 years now. A few weeks ago I added a few tetras so there was enough for them to school. Before I did that I had them in a quarantine tank for 3 weeks and I had treated them with Paraguard and Prazipro separately.

Not long after I put them in the main tank everybody started flashing. I noticed that two tetras had one white spot on their soft dorsal fins on top each. I immediately thought, "Oh no here we go again this is ich."

So I immediately treated the tank first with Prazipro for 10 days (two treatments in that span). Next I raised them temperatures to 86 degrees and started Paraguard. Everyday (except for one day) I did 30-50% water changes. It has been one week now since that started and the spots are still there and have been there for two weeks now. The fish are still flashing including the Rams. The Rams are healthy enough to lay eggs though which I find odd. Also only two fish have had the white spots this whole time, the tetras.

I am really stressed out because I am doing everything in my power to fix this and I can't do it. Not to mention I have a Honey Gourami in the quarantine tank waiting. What should I do?

Flashing doesn't always mean ich. Can you get pics or a vid of the fish? Flashing could also mean internal parasites or gill/skin flukes. Have the neons with the white spots gotten worse? If not, it's most likely not ich. And I'm not sure if the meds you used would help with any kinds of parasites. What are your water parameters? Temp (other than when raised for the treatment), pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. Have they all been consistent, even when new fish were added?

On a side note, that clown pleco may get too large for a 25g. While still a small pleco, I'd recommend at least a 40-50g for it. Otherwise, it will produce an excessive amount of waste for the tank and you may stunt its growth, which would significantly lower its lifespan. Plus, it needs a cooler temp than the rams will tolerate.

Good Morning,
Yes the parameters are completely fine and have been for at least 1.5 years. I normally have the temperature near 82 F. I don't think the white spots have gotten worse. The Prazipro was supposed to handle the flukes, while Paraguard was supposed to attack the ich. I have only been doing the Paraguard for 1 week, do you think I should finish it for another 2 weeks just to be absolutely sure it isn't ich? After that, what treats internal parasites? Would it matter that all of them are still eating perfectly?

Regarding the Clown Pleco, I saw he was the only one that was small enough parameters wise for my tank which is why I got him. This is actually the last fish I have that was an original fish when I started the tank 2 years ago. He is really funny to watch sometimes with how protective he gets with his food and driftwood.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom