Fish flashing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depending on the type of fish it can be a claim on territory or just a common itch. It could also tell a story of water condition. That is kind of an open ended question when it comes to fish. Please give water conditions and fish species. That would help in answering your question.

The fish that's flashing is a black shirt tetra, I have 3 total, 2 orange platys (4 fry) , 4 zebra danio, and a sucker fish

The water levels have been constant for months now, just did a 40% change. Have aquarium salt in it.

My platy has a white discoloration on her side. She is very active and eats well. Have added se extra salt to see if it helps.

I has the same thing happen with some balloon Molly's and I used some E.M. Erythromycin and treated the aquarium witch is a 10gal med aquarium and it took care of it. Can't say it will work for sure but may help. If not try Melafix.

Okay I will check those out at the pet store tomorrow. I really tried to avoid chemicals, but i am getting desperate to cure it.

Flashing is indicative of irritation. This can be caused by the water itself (toxins present, ph swing, excess salt etc) or it may be caused by a disease issue such as parasites. Can you post a pic of the fish in question? Is he the only fish doing this? Is the white area fuzzy or small spots (like grains of sand) or stringy or something else? What is the salinity of the tank? Some more info will help!

I'd have to disagree. Fish flashing doesn't always mean irritation. I've had fish flash and then nothing. Parameters are all fine. Check your water to be sure.

But fish flash for reason or another. It may be nothing but better safe then sorry.

Agree to disagree! Behaviorial flashing is another topic (and you know I dont keep cichlids). ;)

White patches on fish that are not supposed to be there means something else is going on here.

Agree to disagree! Behaviorial flashing is another topic (and you know I dont keep cichlids). ;)

White patches on fish that are not supposed to be there means something else is going on here.

I agree to disagree and I also agree with the last part of your statement.

The ph is 7.2. Ammonia is 0. Nitrates and nitrites are fine. It is just the one fish. It's not fuzzy, only one spot. Just a discoloration. Some of my fish had started to get clamped fins. Did a few large water changes and that is now getting better. I lost one platy to something that seemed similar to what the platy has. I had treated the tank with merdal maracyn which did not help. Only made the fish do worse and die.

Attachments

• image-2999091235.jpg
    image-2999091235.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 67
  • image-3529264399.jpg
    image-3529264399.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 63
Back
Top Bottom