Fish food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Damarferg

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is the best foods to feed your fish I would say garlic but are there any other good foods

Garlic isn't so much nutritious as it is a spice that attracts the fish and is potentially good for their immune systems. There is a great thread on making your own food on this forum. It's easy, cheap and great for the fish.

What is the best foods to feed your fish I would say garlic but are there any other good foods

Garlic's benefits are vastly overstated due to a rumor that has spread like wildfire since a respected aquarist suggested that it MIGHT be helpful in the treatment of internal parasites. That being said it can't hurt to use it.

Live food is by far the best for some fish but is really difficult to deal with.

Like was previously stated home made fish food made from fresh fish bought from the store is the most nutritious but can potentially contain parasites.

There are a number of parasite free frozen fish foods that can be bought at a fairly affordable price as well.

Then bringing up the rear is the freeze dried, flake, and pellet foods; which should all be fairly equivalent in their nutritional content.

For herbivores there are plenty of different macro algaes you can grow that are very nutritious and will help clean your tank.

They sure love garlic. Not aware of a parasite problem in fresh foods from the grocery. Been feeding fresh for 20 years with no problems. I freeze my food after making it up. Parasites don't like bring frozen, so maybe that's the difference.

I've never fed fresh store bought food to my fish, I just don't have enough salt fish to bother with it since a pack of frozen fish food will last me 3 - 4 months :) But a lot of fish products are similarly used with humans for some of the same things. Humans have to worry about parasites from some seafood so it stands to reason that fish would as well. But yeah, parasites don't survive freezing very well.

Back
Top Bottom