Fish for a Slider

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cenovia

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anybody recommend a particular type of fish as a tank mate for a largish red eared slider? So far she's just had minnows and goldfish, but I'd like to add some variety with something she maybe can't eat or would be dissuaded from eating. She's a pig when it comes to eating, and stays in a 75 gallon tank

You might could try an adult red tailed shark or something similar. As long as it is simi aggressive and fast it should be good

Sent from my XT907 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Does it require a lot of vegetation? I can't seem to keep any in the tank, as Lola likes to dismantle any living vegetation I try to add, as well as some fake plants

I don't think you could get a fish big enough for a 75 gallon tank that the turtle can't eat.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It doesn't necessarily need it. Just make sure to provide hides for it. And if Lola has destructive tendencies I would suggest using heavy stackable rocks or bricks like you can find at Lowes or home depot. Just make sure that you wash them before you put them in the tank.

Sent from my XT907 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lola's favorite activities are chasing and stalking her fish and finding ways to knock over her rocks. she's pretty destructive, even for a turtle. she usually keeps a dozen or so goldfish and minnows because they learn to stay away from her before she can take a bite out of them. she even ate an algae eater when she was about 4 inches long. but it couldn't hurt to look for new rocks more suitable for hiding rather than for her to play around

Sliders need more vegetation and less protein in their diet as they get older, so save the feeders for treats. They can eat most veggies just try not to use the ones high in oxalic acid too often. A good quality pellet should be the staple food.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not asking for a staple food, just a tank mate. and no, she doesn't live off fish, she stays on quality pellets and greens nowadays, with worms, snails, crickets and fish as treats. I'm just curious as to what could live in the tank with her and add some variety

If your asking about a tank mate my red eared slider is in with a Raphael striped catfish, Raphael spotted catfish, and a pleco. The only fish I would recommend are catfish because they have armour and live on the bottom so they won't catch the eye of your turtle.

I think a catfish could make a great addition and it's something I'm definitely going to look into, thanks :)

I used to think that, until she proved me wrong. a few years back when she was about 4 inches long i placed about 10 comets, ranging from 4in-7in, plus a 3 inch pleco, into her tank for holding while their pond was being worked on. a couple hours later i came back to check on them and she had eaten most of them, including the pleco, and the 3 largest that she couldn't eat. It broke my heart, i especially loved that pleco and the largest of the comets. that's why i'm curious about fish i can be sure are capable of surviving her. Lola's almost 9inches long now, and is gentle enough to eat from my hand, but she'll at least attempt take a bite out of anything that moves, aside from my hand

I have thought about this as I have turtle as well. Someone recommended trying rope fish. I just saw these fish at my FPS the other day. I haven't tried adding them yet.

Hahaha I've seen rope fish before, they're really cute and I'll admit to having wanted one, but i think a turtle would think it's a worm. Well, i can't speak for all turtles, but i know mine would.

Back
Top Bottom