fish gill problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

misfitchild24

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just purchased an alligator gar today and noticed that his gills are curled out to where it exposes his gills,what is it and wht should i do?

If you're keeping an alligator gar in the 55g you have in your "My Tanks" link, you've got bigger problems than the gills.

What are your water parameters?

When you say the gills are exposed, can you see them protruding when you're face to face with the fish? If so and they're red and inflamed, it sounds like ammonia poisoning.

alligator gar

well right now i temporarily have him in a 29 gallon high tank. His gills are like a dark red and are inflamed, I thought it was gill flukes, so I started treatin him for the flukes, and his skin flaps are atleast getting color to them. But if it is ammonia poisoning how on earth do I treat that?

You'll need to do lots and lots of PWCs. My advice to you would be to return the fish. Alligator gars get absolutely huge and really don't belong in all but the largest of home aquariums. You'll need a pond to house this gar and I'm not sure you're far enough south for the gar to survive the winter.

Read the links in my signature to understand the nitrogen cycle. It'll help explain what's going on in your tank.

gill problem

Oh yeah I know that they need lots of room to swim we are currently working on building him a huge 500 gallon tank. we did a lot of research on this type of fish. That's why i said that the 29 gallon was just temporary. I will definately do alot of PWC's.

I'm glad to see you did some research. That 500g will hold him for a while, but not forever.

If you don't have a water test kit, get the API Freshwater Master kit. It goes a long way towards diagnosing problems in your tank. Prime water conditioner will detoxify ammonia also.

Back
Top Bottom