Fish ID Help please!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua315

Aquarium Advice Freak
So a few days ago I went to my lfs and got 3 oto catfish for my 28g. I didn't look at them very well in the bag and one had been in hiding in my tank and I only caught glimpses of it. Tonight I saw it for the first time out in the open and realized that it was definitely not an oto. Please can anyone tell me what I've got here? I thinking I'm gonna have to make a return trip.

img_1536729_0_a4d93ad731b7795de6cda2b57df96737.jpg

I'm just worried not knowing what it is. I have no idea whether it's an aggressive species or if it's going to get way too big for my tank. I'm thinking of taking it back anyway. I really wanted otos to help with algae and this fish is not a suckermouth.

Might be a type of Cory cat but looks like the barbs r too large for one of those! There's so many species of catfish I'm not sure, does it have pigmentation or is it albino?

Aqua315 said:
I'm just worried not knowing what it is. I have no idea whether it's an aggressive species or if it's going to get way too big for my tank. I'm thinking of taking it back anyway. I really wanted otos to help with algae and this fish is not a suckermouth.

Yeah, i don't blame you I've yet to see an aggressive catfish but I'm sure there are some. Poor little guy! Maybe someone else on here will know.

If it wasn't for the large barbs i would swear its a Cory cat though! What else did they have in the tank where you got your ottos?

FYI if it's a Cory cat they're not aggressive at all and do an excellent job of cleaning bottom of your tank eating any leftover food. But I've never seen mine eat algae though.

I've had corys before and this doesn't look like any I've seen. The tank it was in was all otos so it must have just been in the wrong tank. It is pigmented. It's hard to see in the photo but it actually has a pattern resembling an oto with a dark stripe down the side ending in a spot near the tail.

i think if its not doing any harm in the tank you should keep it for a little while to find out what it is. maybe its a rare expensive catfish.

I would not recommend that. It must be some type of synodontis which means he needs numbers and most likely will get a good size to him. I would return him and get another oto.

so i searched and searched through plante catfish and i found a very very close match. Mystus armatus

here is a picture

i keep finding very similar ones such as this one
Mystus castaneus

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 61
I'm gonna have to agree with TheCrazyFishLady on this. I'll make a trip back tomorrow to see if I can return it and get an oto. I'm hoping they'll wave the 48hr return policy since it was sort of their fault.

while your there check out the lables to see if its on there somewhere

Last edited:
Well I was able to exchange it for another oto so everything worked out. I feel kinda bad because he was really cute but it looked like he was gonna get big, so I didn't have much of a choice. The guy at the store said it looked like a pimodella catfish.

Well I was able to exchange it for another oto so everything worked out. I feel kinda bad because he was really cute but it looked like he was gonna get big, so I didn't have much of a choice. The guy at the store said it looked like a pimodella catfish.
Yeah, he was definitely a cutie, but it was good that you wanted the best possible home for him. It honestly makes me happy to see that.:)

Back
Top Bottom