Fish ID help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frenchi74

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys
I have had this fish in my pond for 3 years plus and never see it very much.. Today I noticed it being very slow and able to net it, the pond temp is at 9c so thought I would bring it inside and acclimatise it all day adding 100ml every hour ... Anyway my question is does anyone know what fish it is please..? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389005704.726013.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389005717.971188.jpg

That look like an albinos gyrinocheilus, require 24C° to 30C° I think.

Yours look like in very bad condition, the gills seems burned...
Should look like this one:
Gyrinocheilus_aymonieri_2.jpg

And thoses fishs are REALLY hard to net usually...

That looks like it to me :( omg I feel bad now it's been in my pond now for over 3 years I'm in the uk ... So winters are not very good... I have been acclimatising all day and now just floating it in my tropical tank (70g) and hopefully it will make a full recovery... I really hope it lives .. What's your thoughts please ?

I think it will die. Sorry... Finish it ?

Don't do it before any others folks tell you to finish it... If you decide to finish it, cut its head, don't only flush it...

You kept a fish that require 24-30C° in 9C°, that's lot out of range temps... He might be permently/severly damaged ! He's probably contaminated by something, look his gills... Maybe it can contaminate your others fishs... I don't know, but I won't try to revive him at another place than in a well oxygenated cold QT tank... The temp variation may kill it....

Changing temp from 10 to 20 degrees should be done over days, no more than some degrees per days...

Gyrinocheilus are a sucker-mouthed algae eater. Although they are tolerant of some very low temperatures, I doubt one would survive a Yorkshire winter - your fish is not one of those... it has no sucker mouth and the dorsal fin is the wrong shape.

It looks a bit like a young tench, but after three years, it would be much more developed.

I reckon it is a fathead minnow, possibly a golden morph. It is unusual in that the gill cover is clear, showing the gill filaments and giving the 'cheeks' a rosy hue. Golden fatheads are sold in the Uk as 'rosy red minnows'. I occasionally have them in during the summer months. They are subject to licensing here as they are an alien species that could cause ecological damage in the wild, but as a private pond owner, you are covered by the licence that should be in place at the shop or garden centre you got the fish from.

Just found this for you http://www.seymourfish.com/rosy-red-minnow-care/

Back
Top Bottom