Fish ID please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spoonman

Aquarium Advice Addict
These fish need to be rehomed and I dont know what they are or what they get along with. They are in the same tank together with a green terror, pleco, yellow lab and a couple of texas cichlids. What are they? I am also looking for a possible value. Thank you, my knowledgeable AA friends!

Pic #1
img_1184268_0_1c12b7e18ce65c95992898e42cbd4654.jpg

Pic #2
img_1184268_1_0c40dcec47a49175f9c58a32af661a0b.jpg

Pic #3
img_1184268_2_71fd6ae80e866ed623c30dd668fd7c8e.jpg

Pic #4
img_1184268_3_63c6ab15e697ee156fa46d78912e4295.jpg

Thanks for your time!

#1 +1 on tilapia buttikoferi
#2 is not a malawi, definitely a Tangynikan, just finding the correct one.
#3 +1 on Neolamprologus Pulcher

Look at the second pic in the drop down menu as a comparison.

Compare the op's fish to a crabro.
The caudal peduncle is too narrow and elondate to be crabro.
http://www.aqualex.org/elearning/me...body-measurements/length-caudal-peduncle.html
The mouth structure is wrong for a Pseudotropheus.
Head shape and the way it joins the body at the dorsal fin is wrong for a mbuna too.
The body height at the dorsal fin to too great, look at the height of the body at the front of the dorsal and the back of the dorsal on both species.
The tail fin is distinctly round as opposed to crabro.
The bars are not joined along the side of the fish as it would be in a crabro.
This distinct lack of anal fin spots indicates it isn't a crabro.
The blue margin on the fin and tail are pretty distinct.

Here are more crabros to compare.
Malawi Dream - Pseudotropheus crabro

The pics of Crabros that I have seen have the linked bar pattern while this guy (#2) just has the bars with no smearing in the pattern. The face to me looks like Neolamp and that gave it away, I just wouldn't have known which one without looking at pics. Cute little guys!

That is quite a mix there!

Pic #4 is def a "Green Severum"... I have 2 Green and 2 Gold Severums... I have my Severums in with a med tiger oscar, med dempsey, fire mouth, pictus cats, and convicts. he looks to be only about 2-4 in long you might get 4 or 5 bucks for him i got mine off of a breeder for 1 a piece. Hope this helps you some...

Probably everybody forgot about this topic as it is so old but I felt like give you a full list as I was surprised nobody could actually identify all the fishes on these pictures. I was so annoyed some of the answers saying bumblebee for one of the most typical Tanganyika cichlid.

#1 Tilapia buttikoferi (Also known as Zebra Tilapia) – West Africa rivers
#2 Five-bar Cichlid | Neolamprologus tretocephalus - Tanganyika
#3 Neolamprologus brichardi - Tanganyika
#4 Green Severum - Heros Severus, Heros Appendiculatus, Cichlasoma Severum – South America (Amazon)

Back
Top Bottom