Fish in cycle!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmny34

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am currently at about my 4th week of my fish in cycle! I have been adding 2-4 fish weekly. My current stock is: 3 male guppies, 6 long finned zebra danios, 2 Cory's. I added one of the guppies yesterday. Attached is a pic of my water conditions. I'm almost there. Nitrates should be showing anytime now!!!!

Should I add anymore fish in the next day or two?

Attachments

• image-408874164.jpg
    image-408874164.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 69
Forgot to mention that it is a 30 gallon tank.

I really don't think you should be adding any fish until a cycle completes. Let the BB build up that eats the ammonia and nitrite first, then slowly add like 3 fish at a time depending on the bioload they produce

Also, to me it looks like zeros across the board, but that may just be my perception of the color. What has your WC schedule been like and how long after a WC was that test taken?

Also, to me it looks like zeros across the board, but that may just be my perception of the color. What has your WC schedule been like and how long after a WC was that test taken?

I have been doing 25% every other day. This last test was about 5 minutes after the last pwc. Everything is at zeros. So I should wait until my ammonia is at 0, nitrites 0, and I start seeing nitrates to add any more fish?

I have been doing 25% every other day. This last test was about 5 minutes after the last pwc. Everything is at zeros. So I should wait until my ammonia is at 0, nitrites 0, and I start seeing nitrates to add any more fish?

A test right after a water change doesnt tell a whole lot really, test the water 12 and 24 hours after a WC and that would give a better idea at what your parameters are. Again I really wouldnt suggest adding more to an uncycled tank. A fish in cycle is one thing, but by continueing to add more fish you'd really just be chasing an end to a cycle, putting more stress on more fish, and making yourself do more work.

Fish-In Tank Cycling

Hello k...

A couple of things: Corydoras need stable water conditions. The water in a cycling tank is far from stable. If they survive the process, you'll be fortunate.

You don't add fish until you have several, daily tests that show no traces of ammonia or nitrite in the tank water. Then, you can add a few more, hardy fish.

When you test the tank water and you have a positive test for either of the above toxins, you change a quarter of the tank's water and replace it with pure, treated tap water. The idea of cycling a tank with fish is to use hardy fish, that are the most resistant to levels of ammonia and nitrite in the water, so you can grow the microscopic bugs that use these toxins for food and keep the water safe for the fish.

Get some stem plants into the tank too. Anacharis and Pennywort will use the toxins and help in the cycling process. Hope this is making sense.

Just a couple of thoughts.

B

Everything both of you have said makes total sense!!! Thank you both for the great advice and I will take and run with it.

A test right after a water change doesnt tell a whole lot really, test the water 12 and 24 hours after a WC and that would give a better idea at what your parameters are. Again I really wouldnt suggest adding more to an uncycled tank. A fish in cycle is one thing, but by continueing to add more fish you'd really just be chasing an end to a cycle, putting more stress on more fish, and making yourself do more work.

I tested my water today. It's been about 24 hours since my last pwc and everything is still pretty much at 0. Ammonia mite be at .25. So should I continue to do daily water changes? Or should I start to every other day or two? Also am I now just waiting for nitrates to develop? Once they show up does that mean that my tank is cycled? So it should look like this 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 10 to 40 nitrates.

Fish-In Tank Cycling

I tested my water today. It's been about 24 hours since my last pwc and everything is still pretty much at 0. Ammonia mite be at .25. So should I continue to do daily water changes? Or should I start to every other day or two? Also am I now just waiting for nitrates to develop? Once they show up does that mean that my tank is cycled? So it should look like this 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 10 to 40 nitrates.

Hello k...

Yes. Change out approximately 25 percent of the tank water and replace it with pure, treated tap water. Even a trace of ammonia is enough to irritate a fish's sensitive gill tissues. Test every day, those are the rules and remove a quarter of the tank volume when you have a positive test for ammonia or nitrite.

The tank will not be cycled until several, daily tests show no trace of either of these two toxins. Then, and only then, can you add a few more, hardy fish. When you do, you must resume testing every day and changing the water when needed.

Eventually, you'll have the desired number of fish and then you should change half the water in the tank, but just once a week.

Stay the course.

B

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom