Fish not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SterlingSilver

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In the past month or two I have lost 3 tiger barbs, a betta, and 5 oto cats. I'm pretty sure this has been because of internal parasites/gill flukes.

Their main symptoms seem to be loss of appetite leading to extreme skinniness, lethargy and then death. I treated the tank with API general cure and the remaining 5 tiger barbs looked fine. One fish that was beginning to develop these symptoms (albino) has made a complete recovery. Yay!

So left in the tank are 3 regular tiger barbs and 2 albinos. I was planning on adding more when I am sure things are stable. The albinos are definitely the outcasts, but were still eating up to yesterday.

Yesterday the smallest albino stopped eating, and spends most of its time hiding. It is also starting to get very skinny. It has always been small, I think it was hurt or attacked at some point before I got it. Its mouth isn't entirely straight foreword and its sides are oddly seethrou in places. It's hard to explain. I'm considering they might have velvet, but I have seen absolutely no signs of flashing or scraping against anything since they recovered from ich. And I think they look normal.

Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20, ph 8 and gh and kh 8 (lowering them soon). I will retest today. 20 long planted tank. I included the best picture of the other barbs for comparison (he is showing an odd blue hue on his black stripes).

Any thoughts appreciated.

Attachments

• 2014-07-16 15.34.15.jpg
    2014-07-16 15.34.15.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 2014-07-12 18.04.37.jpg
    2014-07-12 18.04.37.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 2014-07-16 16.28.53.jpg
    2014-07-16 16.28.53.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 58
I had a similar thing happen with my angelfish - one of them got unhealthy, torn up, and thin. I put him in a tank away from all his angel 'buddies' and he is now fine. My theory is that your barbs are beating eachother into the ground (that is definitely what happened with the betta - the barbs are fin nippers and will eat the bettas.)

Just a thought, take out your sick one, put him in a different tank, and see if he gets better. If he does, get a whole bunch of the barbs, with no defining characteristics (no albino). That will make it so that the barbs will not have a single target to beat uup on, and should fix the problem.

Off-hand, barbs are mainly a species tank fish, since they chew up most any other fish.

Thanks. The betta was in a separate 5 gallon tank, but some of the otos did go between the two and so did some snails which is why I thought of disease. My tap water has been a bit inconsistent ph wise (and who knows what else)since the summer started, but its stabilized now.

I've been keeping a very close eye on the tigers, and the albinos aren't being picked on at all! Actually they are ignored, even during feeding times. I originally had eight, and there was no problem at all. They got along as best as possible, until they started getting sick. They were even ok with most of the otos (I didn't introduce the second group of otos properly).

I am just worried if I have to move the sick guy it might be to stressful because I only have a bare spare tank. Would he be ok alone? And I would want to introduce him with the new barbs, who also have to be quarantined. How long could he stay alone? I have a 10 an 20 gallon spare tank.

When I'm sure everything is stable I will be getting more tigers. I was also planning on a albino bristle nose pleco.

They all seem to be hiding more now they before, possibly because there is fewer of them.

Your fish should be fine in the empty tank - maybe put in one of your decorations, for him to hide behind - but otherwise, he should actually like the peace and quiet. He might feel more comfortable, and be more willing to eat. However, he might get a bit freaked out (I'm all allooonnnee!!!!!!!) and not eat at all. It is a 50-50 chance.

Be sure to change water every day unless I misunderstood and you have a bare, cycled aquarium.

I went and bought a few plastic plants and will be putting him in tonight. If he freaks out, the other albino will keep him company :) There is a double sponge filter, so I should be able to make it work. No need to stress him out anymore with ammonia. Thank you for your help!!!

Back
Top Bottom