Fish recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 20 gallon high, and I currently have a dwarf Pleco, 2 Blue Rams, 3 guppy "teenagers" and 3 Zebra Danios. I intend to go buy a few more Danios tomorrow, as I know they are a schooling fish, and 3 is a little skimpy for a school.
I will probably get rid of the guppy fry once they get a little bigger (take them to the store) - my girlfriend's guppy had babies and I took half of the ones that lived, and don't particulary want them once they're full grown.

Question: Should I consider my tank fully stocked after tomorrow, with 2 Blue Rams, a dwarf Pleco and a small school of Danios? I don't want to overstock the tank, but wouldn't mind a little more diversity/fish to watch either, as my Pleco is extremely shy. It seems like there is a lot of room in the tank left. Any fish that would go well and fit into a 20 high with a Pleco, Blue Rams and Danios? I'd love some more fish similar to my Rams, I throughly enjoy those guys. Or maybe something to help clean the bottom? My Pleco (an L52 "Butterfly Pleco") doesn't clean a whole lot, but I doubt he'd appreciate any Corys, and I doubt they'd fit. Otos maybe?
Any recommendations are appreciated!
Thanks.

2 otos and 3 cories, and that's it. You are full. How long has the tank been running? Is it completely cycled and mature? If it is, then add those fish, but not all at once. Maybe the cories first, then in a week, the otos.

Lonewolfblue said:
2 otos and 3 cories, and that's it. You are full. How long has the tank been running? Is it completely cycled and mature? If it is, then add those fish, but not all at once. Maybe the cories first, then in a week, the otos.

Good question about it being completely cycled. I'd tend to say yes, even though it's only about a little over 3 weeks. I ran the tank for about 3 days before I added the Danios, who I intended to cycle the tank with. My ammonia dropped to zero after about a week after adding them, and after testing daily for another 5 or 6 days, I never saw nitrites, and very low nitrates. I figured it couldn't have cycled that fast, and I had the water checked several times over the course of a week or so at the (very well recommended) LFS, and it stayed remarkably constant - everything looked perfect. So, I added the dwarf Pleco and the Rams per their recommendation. Since adding them (a week and a half ago), I saw a *tiny* rise in ammonia (still under .025ppm) that quickly fell within a day or two to nill. Still no nitrites, and barely any nitrates. I've been doing weekly water changes, and everything still looks perfect. I did add Stability (a cycling"helper") and a bag of established gravel from the LFS, so maybe that helped - but I believe I cycled in ~ 10-12 days. I've been testing the water every other day, and have not seen any ammonia in almost a week, never saw nitrites at all, and detect a small amount of nitrates consistently.
Thoughts?

Lonewolfblue said:
It's possible you could be cycled. Just take it slow on adding if you decide to add a few more.

Thanks a lot for the input,
I can't come up with any other explanation than the tank being at least somewhat cycled. All the paramaters stay constant, even with a pretty decent bio-load (Rams and Plecos are messy), and you can easily see/feel "grime" on the filter components, air hoses and suction cups that are in the tank that I assume is bacteria.

I will definitely take it slow. Do you think I could stand to add the cories, Otos AND the 3 additional Danios, or did you mean stick with only the 3 Danios I have now and add the cories and otos?
Thanks!

Just add the cories and otos for now and see where you stand on your cycle. Then give it some time, and if you feel you can add the danios, then go for it. But get the feel for the tank first. After adding, and it feels too risky to add the danios, then don't.

What kind of cories you looking at? I've got julii's myself, and they look real cool. I like their pattern.

Lonewolfblue said:
Just add the cories and otos for now and see where you stand on your cycle. Then give it some time, and if you feel you can add the danios, then go for it. But get the feel for the tank first. After adding, and it feels too risky to add the danios, then don't.

What kind of cories you looking at? I've got julii's myself, and they look real cool. I like their pattern.

I actually ended up getting 6 dwarf cories (a somewhat rare breed of them I think) last week, because I know they like to be in schools. I didn't like the idea of anyone being unhappy in my tank, and I couldn't fit more than 2-3 big cories in my tank, so I went with these little guys. I *almost* bought a few big cories of a species that the LFS said was also pretty rare; they looked like an exact mix of skunk and panda cories, really cool looking, but I can't remember the name. The dwarves are really cute, and swim a lot more than any cory I've seen. I'm enjoying their company.
Since adding the dwarves, I've seen no increase of ammonia (still zero) and no nitrite at all. Everyone seems to be doing really well, and the tank parameters look great. Nitrate steadily increases after each water change (it's been almost a week and the nitrates are at ~ 15 ppm). The dwarves seem to love algae and shrimp pellets (as do my rams).

I think I'm going to go back and grab a couple Otos later this weekend, as there's a decent amount of visible algae already (I think) for them to munch on. You think a pair will be okay?
I'm waiting for the LFS to get Lepoard Danios in, as I'd like some variety (I have Zebras now).

Thanks again for the suggestions!

If you could wait a week, and see your levels then, then I think a pair would be ok. Just don't get 1, as they are happier with company. 2 would be just fine.

Back
Top Bottom