Fish "Remodleing"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharky300

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, After a disasterous First stocking attemp I am about ready to start over. Just looking for ideas.
I have learned a lot in the last year, mainly that most of the fish I had were not copmpatable.

Here is what I have at the moment... 75 gal tank. 1- Frontosa about 6" 1- Auratus, 1 - Bumble Bee, 1- Orange Estherae. all about 3"

I have a 30 gallon I am going to set up and move either the front or the Mbuna... My question is what is the best on to move? I know 30 gal is not really big enough for either but it is my only option at the moment.

Now the fish questions... is there any other fish that can go with Frontosa's?? and, with the 3- Mbuna I have, can I use the groups to start compatable schools for each??

Sorry so lengthy...

Jason

Fronts are usually kept by themselves in schools and Mbuna's are usually kept in large groups and get along well with other Mbuna's.

Well, bumblebees and auratus can both be described as belligerently, murderously aggressive... You really need to overstock fish like them to curb this, but they are both two exceptionally aggro species. The three of them SHOULD be able to live in a 75 gal without deaths, but you never know... it's all going to be up to what size territory they think they deserve.

I would not keep a single Frontosa in a 30, and I would also not keep a school of Frontosa in a 75... The problem is that Fronts, as spoonman says, need a social system to thrive. I said thrive, not live... So yeah, a lonely Frontosa can live in a small home, but won't flourish...

I have heard about Frontosa "Ponds". Are any of you familiar with those? How well do the do with temp variances?

This might give me the reason to build the pond I have always wanted???

I don't think they would do well with big temp swings, but yeah, people grow them out HUGE in ponds... I would guess you need a heated pond to keep them warm in winter, even in a mild climate... The water would need to be deep enough that they can escape the heat in the summer by going down into cooler depths as well. You can also lower the temps with a waterfall, possibly flow it over some nice limey rock to keep the water hard... They live pretty deep in the lake as far as I know...

Here are some great informative articles:
http://www.cichlidforum.com/articles/frontosa_corner.php

Back
Top Bottom