Fish shop have 11 betta in same tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gingimaru

Aquarium Advice Activist
Thats right they have 11 female betta fish in the same tank and its not that big. maybe 6 gallons. they are also housed with some red crabs.....

at least 4 of them are showing stress stripes albeit the shop seem to think horizontel stripes on betta fish mean they are female.

what should i do? i know you shouldnt have this many betta together, i can see clear signs of fin nipping and also saw some gang up on one little battea but managed to distract them with my finger.

i think i should report them and i did email them saying they are showing signs of stress and they should be moved all i got back was (this is a direct quote from the email reply) "if you no any thing about betters the strips show that they are femal the bright colored ones are you male "

i am going to go take pictures of it today.

anyone have any idea who i can report it too?

(i'm from the UK)

It is a fish store. The tanks are usually equipped with filtration systems designed to support overstocked tanks. Generally, you see sick fish every now and then because unfortunately not every fish makes it through the stress of shipping and acclimation. Although it would be great if your LFS could house and keep fish like you would in your permanent aquarium, this is just not realistic. It is hard to explain to people that it's not about the size of the tank, but the support of the system and quality of maintenance that dictates how healthy the fish will be.

But if it really is a crappy store, the fish are not taken care of properly or not on a system to healthily support them, don't shop there. He will go out of business soon enough if his animals are kept in poor conditions.

Probably the best thing you can do is complain straight to him. If he is a jackass, then he will not be in business long. if he sees your point, maybe he will change how he houses the animals.

+1

Also, it is illegal to take photos in a store without express permission. Don't make us get together bail for you. I could use that money elsewhere.

Aww, sad :( I dont know what I would do. But on kinda the same not, I saw the most disgustingly dirty, over populated, and not stocked properly tank on sale on craigslist and it made me sick :/

fish shops in the uk always have loads of fish in the tanks, it doesnt really matter cus as said they have massive specialy designed filter systems and the fish are only ever there for short periods of time, can u imagin how much room it would take up in a shop if u were to have them in the right sized tanks? for example they have atleast 50 neons in a foot long tank in the shop near me mate, dw

Back
Top Bottom