Fish staying at top of tank - gasping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoreFin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,
I’ve just put a large piece of gold vine into my 150L tank and it is leaching and has a gooey stringy substance coming off it. I had soaked it in water for about 3 weeks but it wasn’t fully submerged.

The main problem is that the fish are hanging around at the top of the tank and look as though they are gasping at the surface. Levels seem to be okay, and I’ve done a 20% water chance since adding the wood.

Any advice would be handy. Have you had this happen before?

Thanks, Dani

Get the wood out and bleach the wood. Sounds like the goo coming off might be fungle. And it still could of played havoc with your levels. If in doubt chuck it out

Yes you use unscented, uncoloured bleach and dilute it and soak it for 24 hours then ditch the bleach water then soaking it in tap water then keep changing the tap water then soak with DC water

Yes you use unscented, uncoloured bleach and dilute it and soak it for 24 hours then ditch the bleach water then soaking it in tap water then keep changing the tap water then soak with DC water

Thanks. Appreciate the advice!

Here’s a few snaps of what’s going on.IMG_6300.jpgIMG_6301.jpg

If the fish are gasping at the surface, that's a sure sign that there is not enough oxygen in the water. Get that wood out and get something to agitate the surface of the water to get more oxygen into it.
By the way, whenever I decide to put wood into one of my tanks, I soak it for months beforehand just to make sure.

Back
Top Bottom