Fish stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyperson3010

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi Can anyone help me with my fish stocking?
I have a 180 litre (46 gallon) tank which has:
1x Neon Tetra will get more
3x Harlequin Rasbora will get more
1x Cherry Barb will get more
2x Bolivian Ram
3x Guppy
1x Otocinclus
1x Peppered Cory
2x Zebra Loach
1x Head & Tail Light Tetra

What else if anything can I put in there
Thanks

Lots of problems with this stocking:
1. When Bolivian Ram starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Neon Tetra.
2. At least 5 x Harlequin Rasbora are recommended in a group.
3. When Bolivian Ram starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Harlequin Rasbora.
4. At least 5 x Cherry Barb are recommended in a group.
5. When Bolivian Ram starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Cherry Barb.
Suggestion: If you want to keep more than 1 Guppy, minimum recommend male to female ratio is 1:2 (M:F). You will be less likely to experience problem if you get even more females.
7.At least 3 x Zebra Loach are recommended in a group.
8.At least 5 x Head and Tail Light Tetra are recommended in a group.
9. When Bolivian Ram starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Head and Tail Light Tetra.
10. At least 4 x Peppered Cory are recommended in a group.

eduguy said:
Lots of problems with this stocking:
1. When Bolivian Ram starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Neon Tetra.
2. At least 5 x Harlequin Rasbora are recommended in a group.
3. When Bolivian Ram starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Harlequin Rasbora.
4. At least 5 x Cherry Barb are recommended in a group.
5. When Bolivian Ram starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Cherry Barb.
Suggestion: If you want to keep more than 1 Guppy, minimum recommend male to female ratio is 1:2 (M:F). You will be less likely to experience problem if you get even more females.
7.At least 3 x Zebra Loach are recommended in a group.
8.At least 5 x Head and Tail Light Tetra are recommended in a group.
9. When Bolivian Ram starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Head and Tail Light Tetra.
10. At least 4 x Peppered Cory are recommended in a group.

Is that all off aqua advisor?

fishyperson3010 said:
Hi Can anyone help me with my fish stocking?
I have a 180 litre (46 gallon) tank which has:
1x Neon Tetra will get more
3x Harlequin Rasbora will get more
1x Cherry Barb will get more
2x Bolivian Ram
3x Guppy
1x Otocinclus
1x Peppered Cory
2x Zebra Loach
1x Head & Tail Light Tetra

What else if anything can I put in there
Thanks

Hi. I would do this :
8 neon tetra
2 Bolivian ram.
6 harlequin rasbora
6 cherry barb
3 guppy ( either 1m 2f or 3m)
6 otocinclus
6 peppered cory
3 zebra loach. ( I'm not famililar of this specie)
I would rehome the head and tail light.
I'm pretty sure the Bolivian ram will be fine with all of that stock. I have bred GBR with a similar stock with no problems. They are only protecting an area for breeding and most your fish will be quick enough to escape the bolivians.

I think Samzter has a good suggestion. You really need to focus on getting your current stock in order first. I also think the rams will be fine. They may start to cause some ruckus during breeding time but as it's been said it's just their area, providing a lot of cover and making territories will help and you mostly have fast fish anyhow.

I dont know about those loache either but I think they are usually shoaling fish so adding another 1 at least would be helpful.

Just be careful with a breeding pair of Rams and the Corys. I've been hesitant to add them to my tank for this reason. Corys aren't particularly "smart" and they'll try to go after the Ram eggs which may mean some very bad luck for the Corys.

Alot depends on how a tank is planted and set up when it comes to rams (GBR and Bolivians) and cory's. I've kept cory's with pairs of rams and trust me the cory's do not keep trying to go for eggs after initally being run off. Now loaches are tenatious enough to harassing to get to the eggs. If a tank is planted heavily, has some DW and rock, to define territories the rams will not just chase other fish all over the tank, just out of their breeding territory. Smaller fish that use middle and upper level swim areas are rarely bothered and if they are chased they can always get out of the way quite fast. I have a 220g, I have 10 angels, some spawn, 11 rams, some spawn, with cory's, tetra's, and others. The tank is heavily planted, front to back, and other than some chasing sometimes they all co-exsist fine. Tank size and planting matters.

Hi thanks for your advice
The rams have a ornament that they use as there teriitory when they breed and what do you think of this:
2x Bolivian Ram
6x Neon Tetra
5x Cherry Barb
3x Guppy (m)
5x Harlequin Rasbora
3x Zebra Loach
4x Cory
4x Otocinclus
And could you guys recommend a good fish to go with these I was thinking a opaline gourami

If you want a gourami I would suggest going with a more colorful smaller dwarf gourami.

The thick lip gourami would be better because it's the same size as the dwarf and is hardier.

Sparkling gourami's are too small and should be kept in a species tank if at all possible.

Back
Top Bottom