Fish to breed??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy1111

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello, if yall could help me pick a fish to breed that would be great. Here are the requirements:
-must be able to raise fry in 10g. I have a 40B, so it could give birth in there, and I could move them in there.
-freshwater
-preferably not aggressive, but they could be aggressive if they can live alone in the 10g
-preferably a moderately popular fish
-fairly easy to breed. I have bred platys before(or rather raise the fry)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You're not going to find a better option than multies for what you're looking for! Popular, easily fits in a 10 gallon, easy to breed, raises their fry. Any reason you seem so hesitant about them?

You're not going to find a better option than multies for what you're looking for! Popular, easily fits in a 10 gallon, easy to breed, raises their fry. Any reason you seem so hesitant about them?

To be honest I would have to raise the fry in the 10, and then the parents would live in the 40B, which is fine. But my angelfish might be to big for them. I think i might do shellies. Thanks for the help! any new input still appreciated

To be honest I would have to raise the fry in the 10, and then the parents would live in the 40B, which is fine. But my angelfish might be to big for them. I think i might do shellies. Thanks for the help! any new input still appreciated

Not sure what you thought I meant, but multies are a type of shelly! Definitely would be my first choice for breeding something easily in a 10 gallon.

Not sure what you thought I meant, but multies are a type of shelly! Definitely would be my first choice for breeding something easily in a 10 gallon.

Ohhh!!! Thanks. Sorry, don't know much about shellies. Can you keep multiple types of shellies?

Sorry I'm like a total noob to African cichlids in general

I don't know if you're doing this for money or not, but if you are do some Dwarf Crayfish. Just make sure you have a definite male and female to breed, but once they do you'll get the $$$ rolling in.

Ohhh!!! Thanks. Sorry, don't know much about shellies. Can you keep multiple types of shellies?

Not unless you have a really big tank. They can interbreed which is very bad, and they'll also bicker horribly. You'll want to stick with one kind of shelly.

Multies are great because they are colonial, and so you can generally have a lot more of them in a smaller space than other cichlids, as long as they are related/immediate family. You could possibly have up to two or three batches of fry being raised in the same 10 gallon at the same time.

I don't know if you're doing this for money or not, but if you are do some Dwarf Crayfish. Just make sure you have a definite male and female to breed, but once they do you'll get the $$$ rolling in.

I'm probably not doing it for money. If it makes money, great, if not, it's fun.

Not unless you have a really big tank. They can interbreed which is very bad, and they'll also bicker horribly. You'll want to stick with one kind of shelly.

Multies are great because they are colonial, and so you can generally have a lot more of them in a smaller space than other cichlids, as long as they are related/immediate family. You could possibly have up to two or three batches of fry being raised in the same 10 gallon at the same time.

Oh ok. Thanks for the info. What is the scientific name for multis??

I would check around your LFS and see if they have them. If they don't, well, I've got at least 4 in my oldest batch of fry that are unspoken for, which would be a nice starting number for a 10 gallon. They're all yours for the cost of shipping. After all the effort it took me to find these guys, I'm more than happy to spread the wealth around!

I would check around your LFS and see if they have them. If they don't, well, I've got at least 4 in my oldest batch of fry that are unspoken for, which would be a nice starting number for a 10 gallon. They're all yours for the cost of shipping. After all the effort it took me to find these guys, I'm more than happy to spread the wealth around!

Oh wow thanks!! I have to say no, because it's still cold by me. Thanks for the help though. You have been very helpful

Oh wow thanks!! I have to say no, because it's still cold by me. Thanks for the help though. You have been very helpful

Well you'd have to set up and cycle the tank anyway; so it would be warm by then I imagine? It'd probably be cheaper if you can find them locally but if all else fails the offer still stands! Best of luck, and let me know if you've got any questions.

The only special requirements for a multi setup are sand and shells. They absolutely need to move sand around to their liking so you can't use gravel or they'll be miserable. And they need shells to live and breed in. You can get 36 escargo snail shells, which are perfect for multis, on amazon for $17.

I was thinking fancy guppies. Could I do both in a 10?

Bad plan. Multies are african cichlids, they'll tear the guppies apart. Plus, in a 10 gallon, it's best to stick with a species tank; there isn't enough space for more than a couple of small fish.

Back
Top Bottom