Fish Was Stuck To Filter!!!! Need Help ASAP!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyWater2525

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi!

I came home from church last night to find one of my 4 year old Hi-Fin Black Skirt Tetras plastered to the filter intake!:eek: I thought it was dead, but when I pulled it away, it darted off! It didn't make it very far though... About 4 or 5 inches later it stopped swimming and floated to the bottom.:nono: It also looked like he had lost about half of his top fin.
I turned the light off hoping for a good outcome, and when I turned on the light to check on it later, it darted again! This time, it landed in some plants, but tipped upside down and stayed that way!!!
When I got home from school today, I found it in another plant where I had left it this morning, and a piece of my artificial plant had speared through its mouth and out its gill!!!:eek::eek::eek::(
I thought for sure it was dead this time, but it was alive!!!!!!:D I quickly pulled it away (very carefully of course), and it is now resting on the other side of the tank but is breathing extremely hard and fast, opening and closing its mouth, and can't get off its side no matter how hard it tries!!!:eek:
Is there anything I can do for him, or is he a goner? I know Black Skirt Tetras only live 5-6 years, so his time is almost up, but I really don't want him to die yet!!!

Tank info:

Inhabitants-
3 Hi-Fin Black Skirt Tetras
1 Molly
6 Harlequin Rasboras

How long has your tank been set up? 4 years

Have there been any new additions to the tank lately? The Rasboras were put in 2 weeks ago.

Water Perimeters?
I currently don't have a test kit. (pH 7.4)

Does your fish have a history of being sick? No.

Did your fish show any signs of sickness? No, he looked normal when I left for church.

Sorry for all the babbling, but thanks for reading!
Please help!!!!!
Thanks!!:thanks:

Edit- you haven't tested the water? Any other fish acting strange in the least?

No, everyone is acting normal and perfectly healthy.
Could the fish have gotten stuck to the filter because he was weakening of old age? Right now he is laying on the bottom not moving, but he twitches, moves his mouth, moves eyes, etc. when I walk past him...:(

No, everyone is acting normal and perfectly healthy.
Could the fish have gotten stuck to the filter because he was weakening of old age? Right now he is laying on the bottom not moving, but he twitches, moves his mouth, moves eyes, etc. when I walk past him...:(

Generally healthy fish won't get stuck in the filter it was probibly sick or weak prior to getting stuck

Back
Top Bottom