Fish waste

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Medx

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55 gal african cichlid tank with about 8, 2-3.5 inch fish. I just bought an albino Chinese algae eater for the brown algae I have. The algae eater is about 6 inches long. It keeps kicking up fish waste from my gravel and making the water a little cloudy. Will this harm my african cichlids if there is fish waste floating everywhere?

I had the same exact thing as you have... For me it was no problem but I'm no expert... Just as long as your tank is fully cycled then I think it should be fine...

No problem! And by the way those Chinese alage eaters are great! I had the same problem with brown alage in my tank and went to get an alage eater! Tht fish took care of the problem in no time! They're great!

That's nice to here something positive about the Chinese algae eater. I got one on a whim, and haven't heard great things.

He's gone well with my cichlids too! He can be quite aggressive so the mbuna don't really mess with him! I'll jus say it's been great for me...

Careful with that CAE. They can be utter jerks. They attack other fish, especially when they are a large size like what you have here.

If it's a Mbuna tank, which it sounds like, why do you care if there's algae? You likely have no live plants, so why would algae matter? I think algae makes a Mbuna/hap/peacock tank look nice and natural.

I herd they are pretty aggressive but I have a 3.5 inch mbuna that is super dominant and bites the cae when it goes in its hiding place and I know I like the algae too but not on the glass .

Careful with that CAE. They can be utter jerks. They attack other fish, especially when they are a large size like what you have here.

If it's a Mbuna tank, which it sounds like, why do you care if there's algae? You likely have no live plants, so why would algae matter? I think algae makes a Mbuna/hap/peacock tank look nice and natural.

Brown algea. I like the look of green. I have brown. Got a pleco for my african tank and there is no algae of any kind after a week.

I herd they are pretty aggressive but I have a 3.5 inch mbuna that is super dominant and bites the cae when it goes in its hiding place and I know I like the algae too but not on the glass .

Why not just wipe the glass off every couple of days? You can get a Mag-float and do it without getting your arm wet. No need to put a fish in there to do work you can do yourself.

Back
Top Bottom