Fish with cloudy eyes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Humanis1993

Aquarium Advice Activist
My white molly's eyes appear to have some sort of cloudiness to them and it is having a hard time find the flakes when I drop them in. How can I fix this? It almost looks like cataracts.

Ok I ran a water test and everything is within parameters.
Water hardness-185
ph-6.5
alkalinity-22
nitrites-0.1
total ammonia nitrate number-1
Water temp 78-79

I feed flakes it's aqueon tropical flakes.

What test kit are you using? Is it strips? With some nitrites and ammonia, I'd say your tank isn't cycled yet. How long have you had the tank set up and with fish? You have two issues: the cloudy eyes on the fish and a potentially uncycled tank. There's a link in my signature 'new tank with fish;' read it and it'll help you. Basically you need to test the water daily and any time ammonia and/or nitrite are over.25 you need to do a water change to get them down (this might mean a pwc every day); same with nitrates over 20. What's your ammonia level? Is it 1? Or is that the nitrate? If your ammonia is 1 I'd do a large 80% pwc with dechlorinator ASAP.

You could try doing the water changes for a few days and keep those levels down and see if the fish's eyes improve before treating it with a medicine. It could be just the toxins in the water.

I'm using liquid test. 1 is the total ammonia nitrate level. The tank has been set up for about a year. This isn't a problem because of water quality. I checked. And asked my aqua-science teacher and he says it sounds perfect. And I trust his judgement because he is running over 95 tanks currently.

I had a betta a week ago that had it but he died(very old) and now the Molly has it. They both shared the tank

It sounds like ick. Ick developes first on the eyes and the fins

It's not ick. I've had my outbreaks of ick/ich and this does not look like it at all. And the temperature is set to where it is to hot for them to thrive. 78-79 sometimes reaches 80. Ich multiplies rapidly at 77-78 but at 79+ it kills it.

When my discus had cloudy eyes and increased body slime, I used tetracycline(petsmart). It's a 3-day treatment and it worked really well. You need to do a huge PWC in between dosage. Good luck.

What do they have at walmart that'll work because we don't have a pet store near where I live.

Back
Top Bottom