Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Rescape/Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Future Fish Option 2:

12 Threadfin Rainbowfish
5-6 Kuhli Loaches
1 Ram
2-3 Panda Garra
2 Assassin Snails
5 Amano Shrimp or Nerite Snails
8-10 Ember Tetras/Rummynose Tetras/Harlequin Rasboras/Cardinal Tetras

Would Kuhli Loaches get too big for a 30 gallon long aquarium?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No the khulis would be fine. In fact i would up the stock of them to 8 or 9 even 10. I have 9 in my 29 gallon. Theyre fun fish.

No the khulis would be fine. In fact i would up the stock of them to 8 or 9 even 10. I have 9 in my 29 gallon. Theyre fun fish.

Awesome! I might change the future stock up again, but Kuhli Loaches will definitely be in the plan with Threadfin Rainbowfish, some invertebrates, Panda Garra Loaches, the Ram, and another small group of fish (preferably a 1" schooling fish). Should make for a cool stock, even though the stock is somewhat nice now.

Other than that, one of my Ludwigia repens stems has reached the top of the water line. I'll cut off the top portion, and replant is during the next water change.

Nice plan! Make sure the khulis have lots of places to hide. You will see them a lot more. This might not sound like it makes sense but when they have more places to dart to if scared they will come out more. If you will have a sand substrate tbat would be a plus as well. Mine dig dens through the sand under my dw.

Nice plan! Make sure the khulis have lots of places to hide. You will see them a lot more. This might not sound like it makes sense but when they have more places to dart to if scared they will come out more. If you will have a sand substrate tbat would be a plus as well. Mine dig dens through the sand under my dw.

My substrate should be fine for them since it is fine grade Eco-Complete with some sandy parts. They'll have plenty of places for sure. I'll probably finish planting the tank prior to introducing them. They look like an awesome fish to have, and I've heard good things about them ?

Okay guys, after I finalize the future fish proposition, I'll get back to talking about good 'ole aquarium plants. I know that I will have the following stock in the future (uncompleted at the time being, with a couple fish that will be moved from the current stock later):

12 Threadfin Rainbowfish
3 Panda Garra Loaches
8 Kuhli Loaches
5 Amano Shrimp or Nerite Snails
2 Assassin Snails
1 Electric Blue Ram (female)

The thing is that something is missing from this stock. I'm sort of thinking that 3 schools of fish would look bad in this tank, so that is why I'm reluctant to add it later on in time. It is just that something would be missing from this stock. It's like the missing piece to win a World Series. I would like something that I could get 2-5 of, possibly. Maybe something geeky, odd, and small. They would have to be peaceful enough to not bother my Threadfins at all. Any suggestions?

Some ember tetras or rummy nose tetras would be good in a group of 5.

Nice suggestions. I was searching online and I came upon Peacock Gudgeons. Have you ever kept this fish before?

Nice suggestions. I was searching online and I came upon Peacock Gudgeons. Have you ever kept this fish before?

I haven't. You seem to have lots of top and bottom dwellers but not much for the middle. The rummys or embers would be a good fit IMO. Maybe even go with 10 thread fins and throw in a few more of the tetras if thats what you go with.

I haven't. You seem to have lots of top and bottom dwellers but not much for the middle. The rummys or embers would be a good fit IMO. Maybe even go with 10 thread fins and throw in a few more of the tetras if thats what you go with.

Okay. How about this?

10 Threadfin Rainbowfish
8 Kuhli Loaches
8 Ember Tetras
1 Electric Blue Ram (female)
2 Assassin Snails
1 Mexican Orange Dwarf Crayfish
3 Panda Garra

I've taken out the Anubias because it was frankly boring, and it wasn't helping my aquascape. I also took out the rotting Crimum, which smelled bad. From the look of my plants, my tank is lacking one key component: pressurized CO2. I think this has been the key to some of the failures of my tank. Right now, there is no balance within my tank. I think I might also have high light too. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407806507.883116.jpg

Here is a picture of the L. repens:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407806772.815983.jpg
Notice the black spots on the leaves. The leaves are sort of crinkled too. I don't know what the problem is. What do you guys think?

I just got some embers and they're awesome!! Settled right in, school all over the place like rn's do.. They're pretty small so you can have a larger group..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Could the crinkled leaves also be a symptom of insufficient CO2? Not shortage of light in that tank.

That's what I was thinking. According to that chart that I posted above, I have high light. In my opinion, I have high medium light or high light. I've read that with the lighting I have, pressurized CO2 is almost necessary to have long term success. Just because with more light, means more CO2/nutrients are necessary. I might change my fert regimen up a little bit too. Maybe the EI method would work better in my tank. At the moment, I follow the PPS-Pro instructions exactly, and I haven't tinkered with it at all. I might do that as well. It looks like I have some testing/experimentation to do.

I can't really see the black spots. :( The crinkled leaves are a calcium or magnesium deficiency.

Maybe these pictures will be better: ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407872943.244408.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407873001.281288.jpg

With the algae issues, and the leaves that aren't looking as they should, I can tell there are plenty of deficiencies in the tank. I'll have to mess with the ferts, and as soon as the pressurized CO2 is in my tank, things should be in check.

Back
Top Bottom