Fishes find wont regrow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

connor31556

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys I have a 20g tall tank with 3 swordtails 5 guppies 1 corydora a nerite and a assain snail the tank is well cycled and has been up for 2 years without any problems the water has 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 20ish nitrates I have a huge anubias barteri that is doing great a nana version of that plant also doing good duckweed and I forget the name of the other plant my problem is that throughout my tank being setup the fishes fins haven't been able to heal if the fish has hurt them in a quarrel and I dont know why as its definatly not fin rot. The only explanation I could think of is high ph but my ph is at 8.5 and that's not terrible. I have tried adding both epsom and aq salt to the tank and in dips and put affected fish in these dips and this has not lead to any success other than increased bowel movements. I have been dealing with this for the entirety of the tank and am just asking now because one of my female swordtails I noticed is missing a pelvic fin (dont know how she lost it I assume it has to do with the make trying to breed) and she has been in the tank for well over a year I'm guessing she around 2 years old and has always been and still is very energetic. Below is a picture and the missing fin on top has been like that for around 8 months and has not healed or effected the fish in any way. Any advice helps thank you in advance sorry for the picture that's the best I can get1574651789108.jpg

Hi swordtails need a bit more swimming room than a 20 gallon tall tank can provide. That's probably the cause of the fighting. Are all your swordtails female or do you have 2 females to 1 male in there? Your nitrates seem a bit high being at 20. What is your water change schedule like?
I would suggest putting her in a separate so she can heal without other fish bugger her.

I change 40ish% weekly. There are 2 females and 1 male and the females dont fight at all with each other. The other nipping is from a female beta experiment I did a little bit ago which wasnt that successful. As for the tank I have alot of visual obstructions and if one does chase the other a little it is broken up almost immediately as there fast swimmers. I dont have an extra tank and when I've had one of them in a breeder box they usually just jump out

Back
Top Bottom