Fishless Cycle complete - No fish issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jason19

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

The good news is my fishless cycle is complete, hurray!!

However, the issue I now have is that, due to COVID19, some of my local pet stores have stopped selling fish/have no fish due to border restrictions. Online delivery is an option but is going to take 10 days minimum.

I have half a bottle of Dr Tims ammonia solution left. My question here is that, as my tank has cycled, does it continue to need a source of ammonia as I can't get fish to produce this to keep the nitrites alive?

The conundrum I have is that, this bottle may not last me too long (as it requires 45 drops per time as per instructions) therefore I don't know if this should be done daily.

Hopefully by next week I can get my hands on some tropicals. Any advise would be great.

I would continue to dose, but maybe cut back and or dose every other day if you are worried about running out of ammonia.

The bacteria wont die off in the short term, just go into a sort of low metabolism if there isnt enough food. Keeping the filter running is more important to keeping the bacteria alive.

Alternatively, if things really do drag on and you run out of ammonia, put some fish food in to supply ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom