Fishless Cycle - Day 7 and no Nitrites!!! Help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mumble

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 28G aquarium and started the fishless cycle 7 days ago. Added Bio day before I started adding ammonia. 1.5ml Day 1,2 & 3. 1ml 4,5 & 6. Ammonia increased from 0.25 to 4ppm. On day 4 I added bio once again. Now it's day 7 and haven't gotten a reading on my nitrites yet. What's going on? I should be getting something right?

I would somply give it a little more time. Here is something to consider though.

Have you interrupted the cycle in anytway?? Meaning have cleaned the tank, done a water change or cleaned the filter media?? All of these can interrupt your cycle and will cause a longer cycle time.

Do you have live plants??

You can also retest the water. Maybe use an independent source. A local LFS would be good.

I do plan on adding plants today actually. But to answer your other question, No, I haven't changed water or filter media. I just keep reading 0ppm on my nitrites every day.

If you can get plants from a place where they have livestocks in the same tank, that will help kickstart your cycling process as some bacteria will live on the surface of those plants too...

I am using pure ammonia purchased from the hardware store. No parfumes and no color and no surfactants.

Should I be adding more bio to my filter to increase the amount of bacteria in the tank.

My ammonia is 4ppm. My PH is 8.4. I do not have a nitrate test but my nitrites are still 0. I've also added 3 plants yesterday.

Wow is that PH correct?? Your cycle is most efficient in the PH range of
6/7-8. At higher or lower PH the cycle will slow. Regardless, typically I don't worry about nitrIte until I am about ten days into the cycle. I think your are about there now??

I think you wait longer and add more bacteria agent if you have some. I have found Dr. Tims one and only to be the most efficient bacteria additive.

Hey Jim, thanks fo the input. I kinda know these things take time and just wanted to be sure that things will eventually happen. I read a thread on a 10 day cycle, but from reading everyone's experiences here, I find that hard to believe. Thanks again.

Hey bigfoot would you recommend purchasing some PH Down and adding that to help the cycle along?

No I suggest you just leave the tank as is and let nature take it's course. Your cycle WILL happen.

Ok, It is now day 13 of the cycle. My ammonia is over 4ppm, my PH is 8.4 and I am still getting a 0ppm reading on my Nitrites. I am adding 1.5ml of Ammonnia every day and have added bio-zyme twice in one week. I added 3 small live plants about a week ago and I just don't understand how my nitrites won't give me a reading. My test kit solution is fairly old (5 years) so I was thinking, would this solution have an expiry date? (I don't see one on the label). But, my ammonia and PH solutions are working just fine. Is this normal to not have a nitrite reading for this long? Everything I have read seems to be that people are having a problem getting their Nitrites down, not the problem I'm having.

Thanks everyone.:confused:

Heater? get the temp up to about 82. Stop with the bio-crap (vast majority are worthless). Stop dosing ammonia until you see it dropping.

Hey CaptainAhab, my temp. is at 82 and has been for the whole time. But I will stop the ammonia and the bio. Thanks for the insight! Another question. Did it really matter where I added the bio. I was adding on my bio wheel. I don't think it really mattered but what do you think?

it doesnt matter where its added... And if you added live plants... that could be hurting you more than helping.. they use nitrates to feed.. either way.. like captain ahab said.. stop dosing till you see a change.. there is no point in dosing till the bacteria can catch up. at which time.. continue your doses.. in small quantities..

Hey everyone, I'm at the 30 day mark and my nitrites are finally starting to pick up. My ammonnia has started to decrease. So I guess now I would have to keep adding my ammonia in very small amounts untill my nitrites peak. Is this correct?

Back
Top Bottom