Fishless Cycle - How much is too much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pairustwo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ammonia that is.

It is a new school year and I am setting up my classroom tank as usual, preforming a fishless cycle.

I was being careless and I put too much ammonia in the water.
My tank was only about half full so I immediately put more water in - diluting it to about 8ppm NH3. (I don't have any way to get water out right now to dilute it further).

I'm wondering if I have killed my seed bacteria?

I had put in a nylon stocking full of plant cuttings from home as well as my filter insert from my established tank. which contained a sponge, ceramic media, and filter floss. All prior to over dosing the Ammonia.

Thanks.

Pairustwo

honestly, I dont think you will have done any harm other than to create food rich environtment for the benificial bacteria. I am no expert, so dont quote me on that, you may see a bacteria bloom until things regain status quo. again, not an expert, and if I am wrong, someone please correct me.

Bear

I think it will be fine. The cycle will take a bit longer but with seeding and all I dont think it will be a big deal.

You probably already know this, but once the ammonia level drops, continue dosing to maintain about 1ppm until the cycle has completed.

There is definitely a "too much of a good thing", but you aren't near close to it so don't worry.

I would recommend keeping the lights out however. The addition of those plant cuttings will definitely have algae on them to some degree and with that much ammonia it would be very easy to get a GW or other algae outbreak in the tank.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom