Fishless Cycle Log - Freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rysaquarium

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello fish loving friends!

My name is Ryan and for the next month - two months I'll be keeping a fishless cycle log. Recently I've returned to fishkeeping and I'm excited to begin this small tank.

Every week I will be posting water testing logs, changes to the tank and the general information regarding whats going on inside the tank.

I'll begin with my tank setup and information below.

The Tank:

• 10 Gallon Aquarium
  • 2 aquaclear 20's
  • 2 prefilter sponges for added mechanical filtration

The Decor

• Gravel and sand substrate on seperate sides.
  • 1 small sized Malaysian driftwood
  • 2 lucky bamboos
  • fake plants (adding live plants soon)
  • Small Rock Cave

Other

• Prime water conditioner
  • API freshwater Masters Kit
  • Two 10 watt 6700k bulbs
  • Bottle of 100% pure ammonia
  • Syphon & bucket.

So it may seem as if I've got too much filtration in this tank, in the past I have always kept two filters for two main reasons. I can change media in one filter at a time without disrupting the entire bacterial colony. Secondly it allows for me to customize one of the aquaclears to have only biological filtration for a slight overstock on the aquarium and have excellent water quality.

After washing all the decor, tank and filters, i boiled my driftwood for a hour. I layed down my gravel and sand that i cleaned earlier, and and began to slowly pour my water in until it was about 25% full.

After that I tied my lucky bamboo to my driftwood with a small piece of fishing line. Then added my decor and plants to the tank, then finally turned my filters on and let the tank sit for one night before adding ammonia.

Today, added ammonia to the tank to get the ammonia to 2PPM.

And thats about it. Ill post some pictures below, the waters still a tiny bit cloudy from the sand but since it's being cycled i dont really mind much. I'll be posting every monday with updates and information regarding the tank. Feel free to ask any questions, have a great day.:)

Attachments

• IMG_20150223_211010.jpg
    IMG_20150223_211010.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20150223_211029.jpg
    IMG_20150223_211029.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20150223_211043.jpg
    IMG_20150223_211043.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20150223_211057.jpg
    IMG_20150223_211057.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 72
I'm starting a similar journey but it's my first time. I've got a 29g. I just got water in it tonight. The rest of my supplies should be here Wednesday. I'm very interested in following your progress and comparing to my own.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hit me up if I can help...I've successfully fisless cycled 5 tanks in total&I've usually completed each cycle within 10-14 days...

Getcha sleeves wet fish tank people!

Back
Top Bottom