Fishless Cycle Log/Rebuild - Take II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't see how you can have nitrates without nitrites?

I don't know either but my seeded cycles went that way too skipped the trites and went right to trates and they went from 5 -10 in a couple days then stayed stable hope it's the same for you

Not sure what to say as I went through the regular cycle.

Wondering if I should start panicking yet....

Week 5 as of tonight:

Ammonia: .5
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
PH: 7.4

I re-dosed ammonia to 2 on Wednesday after it had dropped 0.5. On Thursday it was 1, now it's been 0.5 for two days. If it drops 0.5-1 in one day, shouldn't I be at 0.25 or 0 by now? I'm going to let it sit for another day and see what happens. I have a sick feeling that this tank is going to drop just above zero forever and I'll never see 0 in 24 hours. :( I'm worried that things are going to stall or stop again. I'm also wondering if I've been reading the ammonia test wrong all this time; the colors between 0.5 and 1 are too similar. It's definitely 0.5 tonight, but I thought it was last night too and now I'm wondering if it was at 1. :ermm:

It's also day 5 since I added the seeded sponge. I know, still in the "normal" ranges but still, getting ridiculous... :banghead:

Also seeing some what I hope is some type of algae, not a lot, just on the decoration, it looks a bit greyish and fuzzy. I've also seen some white strings/hairs in there, not sure what that is either. My baby snail was there a couple of days ago and now I can't find it. Not sure how it could survive in there anyway.

Here's my entire log so far, for what it's worth:

Date -- Ammonia -- NitrIte --- NitrAte -- PH -- Notes

6/12/11 - day of starting - dosed to 2 PPM Ammonia - didn't test anything else
Let the tank sit until 6/18, did not test
6/18/11 - ammonia 1.5, did not test anything else. Added a mesh bag of about 1 cup of gravel from a seeded tank and a small rock from a seeded tank
6/19/11 - ammonia 1, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate, 7.4-7.5 PH
6/20/11 - ammonia .5-1, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, 7.4-7.5 PH. Re-dosed ammonia to 3-4 PPM
6/23/11 - ammonia 1-2, did not test anything else
6/24/11 - ammonia 1-2, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, 7.4-7.5 PH
6/26/11 - ammonia 1-1.5, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, 7.4-7.5 PH (2 weeks since start)
6/27/11 - ammonia 1, nitrite 0, did not test anything else
6/29/11 - ammonia .5-1, nitrite 0, did not test anything else. Re-dosed to 3 PPM ammonia
6/30/11 - ammonia 1-2 ppm, nitrite 0, did not test anything else
7/1/11 - ammonia 1-2 ppm, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, 7.4-7.5 PH
7/2/11 - ammonia 1-2 ppm, nitrites 0 (3 weeks since start)
7/3/11 - 70% pwc to try to get things kick-started (with Prime), added small crumbs of fish food, re-dosed ammonia to about 2-3 (tested ammonia a few times, got different readings, the test may have been contaminated or skewed)
7/4/11 - ammonia .5, nitrites 0, nitrates 0, redosed ammonia to 2
7/5/11 - ammonia 2, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, ph 7.4-7.5
7/6/11 - ammonia 2, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, ph 7.4-7.5. Added some crumbled up fish food.
7/8/11 - ammonia 2, nitrite 0
7/9/11 - ammonia 2 (4 weeks since start)
7/11/11 - ammonia 2 Added seeded mag sponge filter from an established tank
7/12/11 - ammonia 1, nitrite 0, nitrate 0-0.25, ph 7.5
7/13/11 - ammonia .5, nitrite 0, nitrate 0-0.25. Redosed ammonia to 2
7/14/11 - ammonia 1, nitrite 0, nitrate 5 (Day 33 today)
7/15/11 - ammonia .5-1, nitrite 0, nitrate 5
7/16/11 - ammonia .5, nitrite 0, nitrate 5, ph 7.4-7.5 (Week 5)

-note- this response is solely from looking at the head banging smiley and nothing else yet-

Noooooo hang in there, no headbanging yet!

Ok I read the post.

It looks like you got some movement, which is promising.

why don't you post some ammonia test pics so you can get more opinions on the results?

I hope you find the snail!

So I've made an executive decision to give this tank two more weeks (that will be a total of 7) to give me some hint that it's cycling. If I don't have a clear indication by then (nitrites, or fast ammonia conversion) then I officially give up.

Everyone on here has been great and it would be sad to give up the hobby before I even really started, but I think 7 weeks (not counting the other attempts) is long enough.

Definitely don't stress yourself over it. This is supposed to be an enjoyable hobby. I know of some people who just toss some fish food or shrimp or something in the tank and come back in a month and test, that's another possible stress free method.

No matter what you do, don't let it get under your skin. You have the patience of a saint, I would've put fish in the tank about 6 weeks ago.

So I've made an executive decision to give this tank two more weeks (that will be a total of 7) to give me some hint that it's cycling. If I don't have a clear indication by then (nitrites, or fast ammonia conversion) then I officially give up.

Everyone on here has been great and it would be sad to give up the hobby before I even really started, but I think 7 weeks (not counting the other attempts) is long enough.

Hate to see you give up but I honestly can't blame you if you do.

I have a feeling that on week 6 1/2 you'll unplug everything and go get the bucket to start draining out the water, you'll decide to give it one last test just for kicks and see purple, lol.

If not... there's always hermit crabs, terrestrial turtles, hamsters, guinea pigs, iguanas, bearded dragons, snakes (probably not for you), fishless aquascaping, etc...haha

Truth be told, with as much time, dedication and commitment you're showing to this thing...I wouldn't have any qualms with you doing a 100% pwc and adding a few fish. Lord knows you're dedicated enough to change the water as needed. My concern however is that if there is something wrong that is making it take this long to cycle fishless with seeded media...how long will it take to cycle with fish? How long will you have to test almost every day and change water when needed? Months? Years?!? Hopefully not, but I'm sure it's one of the things playing in your mind.

Every single member who's ever seen your threads will support you 100% with whatever you decide :)

Aw thanks everyone! I'd miss it here too.

I couldn't add fish. As much as I want them, I went through a bad few weeks when I got my first ones and learned about cycling. I think I kept the levels "safe" enough for them, but it was a month of worrying and multiple pwc. Which granted would be easier now with my Aqueon changer but I have enough personal worries going on at the moment with family issues, I don't need any more stress lol If I get fish I want to enjoy them.

Yeah I think reptiles aren't for me either lol I might consider a hamster or something but I think my cat would object and I wouldn't want to tempt him. Oddly enough he has zero interest in the tank.

Well I just tested and there's more movement:

Ammonia: 0.25 (the lowest I've ever gotten a tank to go with a fishless cycle)
Nitrite: 0 (why do I even test this anymore lol)
Nitrate: jumped from 5 to 10-20 (hard to tell the difference between those two, but definitely at least 10)

I just dosed the ammonia back up. So fingers crossed something will keep happening. Maybe the tank is nervous b/c it knows i'm going to drop it out of the window if it doesn't cycle. :lol:

Something IS happening! Remember I said to watch your no3 because I thought if the sponge was working you'd see them climbing before no2? It's doing that! You have conversion!

I have lots more to say...but I'm 100% certain I'll jinx it if I elaborate!!! Let's just pretend this isn't happening and stay the course for now :)

One other option...(which judging by your last post you hopefully won't need)...do you like Bettas? Using jeta's sponge or one from AngelsPlus should basically insta-cycle and be able to handle a single Betta and maybe some shrimp no problem IMO. Have you seen the Fluval Edge tanks? I have a Chi with a single Betta...but it's open top so your cat might go fishing. The Edge tanks are beautiful and would make a wonderful home for a Betta. I don't know if you've ever had one, and I know they seem beautiful but kinda boring at the store...but when you put them in a suitable home they absolutely burst with personality and interaction. You'll be shocked how entertaining and fun they can be if you give them a nice house :)

I'm not superstitious, (though I am a little stitious, haha)...but maybe if we act like we're already forgetting about the current situation and thinking ahead...a certain test tube might surprise us ;-)

This cycle continues to baffle and frustrate me :confused:

Last night I re-dosed ammonia to 2. I think my eyes are becoming immune to the colors :blink:

Tonight (day 37 :nono:):

Ammonia: I'm going to say 1.5
Nitrite: 0 (I'm going to end up in a loony bin saying "no nitrites, blue tubes!")
Nitrate: seems up again, between 20-40

So how can the nitrate be rising but ammonia not dropping faster? Is it possible to have nitrates without nitrites? I don't get it....

This tank better hurry, 13 days left :D

Back
Top Bottom