Fishless Cycle Log/Rebuild - Take II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's hard seeing an empty tank and not doing anything to it, so I did some rescaping yesterday. Last weekend I bought two more decor pieces and had literally just dropped them in the tank, but yesterday I moved everything around, I like it much better, but I might move some of the plants around again at some point :) (pic below)

I'm also including a pic of my second filter, the HOB (I also have an internal Fluval). There is a very large gap between the filter and the lid. I figure now it's good to let the bacteria get in there but it seems like too large a gap to keep open with fish (yes I'm still hopeful lol); how do I block it?

Attachments

• DSC00189.JPG
    DSC00189.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC00191.JPG
    DSC00191.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 166
Sunday, June 26
Day 14 (two weeks)

Ammonia: 1-1.5 (down from 3 almost a week ago)
NitrItes: 0 :( :banghead: :nono:
NitrAtes: 0
Ph: 7.4-7.5

Ammonia is dropping slowly....I looked back at my log and it's taking about a week to drop from 3-4 to 1-2. Is that normal or too slow? Seems slow to me (I'm hoping it isn't just evaporation from that large hole in the lid, ugh)

I'll give it another week. If I still don't see nitrItes I may have to start researching sledgehammers.

If your ammonia is going down, you should be seeing nitrites before too long.

I would imagine that evaporation would cause ammonia to go up? as it would concentrate more in less water?

I had a major issue with my 10g and lost all 7 fish overnight with no pre-warning "signs." All paramaters were perfect, water was perfectly clear. Fish were swimming, playing and happily eating last night. No chemicals around...didn't even have my hands in the tank yesterday beyond dropping in some pellets and I washed my hands and rinsed thoroughly as I always do before putting my hand near anything that has to go in the tank.

Going to strip it down in any case, clean everything out, boil what I can...order a new filter from Angel's Plus and begin again.

I would imagine that evaporation would cause ammonia to go up? as it would concentrate more in less water?

I had a major issue with my 10g and lost all 7 fish overnight with no pre-warning "signs." All paramaters were perfect, water was perfectly clear. Fish were swimming, playing and happily eating last night. No chemicals around...didn't even have my hands in the tank yesterday beyond dropping in some pellets and I washed my hands and rinsed thoroughly as I always do before putting my hand near anything that has to go in the tank.

Going to strip it down in any case, clean everything out, boil what I can...order a new filter from Angel's Plus and begin again.

Aw I'm sorry to hear that! Odd though that they would all die off overnight. Something had to have happened. Sorry about that, I know it's tough to lose fish suddenly. :(

It's going to just take awhile. I read a post on here where someone finally cycled after 3 months! I am at 33 days! I hope you see some nitrites soon!

It's going to just take awhile. I read a post on here where someone finally cycled after 3 months! I am at 33 days! I hope you see some nitrites soon!

:facepalm: I don't think I'd make it another 3 months lol

Well I just realized my heater isn't sufficient for my tank. I stupidly used the heater I had in the 12 gal, not bothering to check if it is strong enough for my 20. I had it cranked up to 84 and I thought it was good. Tonight I checked the thermometer and it was sitting at around 74-76. :banghead: I cranked it up to the highest it would go, about 88. The thermometer right now is about 79. Ugh. Not sure how long this has been like this. I had my A/C on all day (for my cat lol) but I would have thought the heater would keep it warm. I checked the brochure for the heater and sure enough, my heater isn't sufficient. I didn't want to invest any more $$ into this thing until it showed signs of cycling but I may have to spring for another heater so the bacteria will grow (either that or keep the A/C off and potentially melt myself and my cat....not).

:hide:

Don't worry about the temp, it helps speed things up marginally, but if you can get it around 77-78 you're good to go :)

My 20 gallon has a 100 watt heater. Maybe you can take that one back and do an exchange?

My 20 gallon has a 100 watt heater. Maybe you can take that one back and do an exchange?

Mine is only a 50w. I'm debating whether it's worth it to buy another heater now when this thing may never cycle (very positive and cheery, aren't I? :brows:). I'll have to buy a new one if it does though. I may just keep the current one in case I need it for a QT or hospital tank or something. I have two filters on my tank now so theoretically I could use one for an emergency tank if I need it in the future and I'd need a second heater then anyway.

Ok well maybe I'm a little optimistic... :D

Just be prepared to wait awhile. The tank looks great!

If ammonia is steadily dropping, there is absolutely conversion going on. Unless you have plants, there's nowhere for it to go other than being consumed by the BB. Since you have seeded media (you do, right?), it's not a bad idea to keep testing for nitrAtes. It seems some media can be more abundant with no2 to no3 bacteria...so it's conceivable to initially see nitrAtes climb without ever seeing nitrItes because the nitrIte is being constantly converted into no3 the moment it is produced.

libraygirl said:
Mine is only a 50w. I'm debating whether it's worth it to buy another heater now when this thing may never cycle (very positive and cheery, aren't I? :brows:). I'll have to buy a new one if it does though. I may just keep the current one in case I need it for a QT or hospital tank or something. I have two filters on my tank now so theoretically I could use one for an emergency tank if I need it in the future and I'd need a second heater then anyway.

Ok well maybe I'm a little optimistic... :D

Yeah, the rule of thumb for heaters is 5w per gallon. It's a pretty important rule that ranks up there with 10gph per gallon for proper tank filtration.

Using the current heater as a backup and/or for a QT is a good idea. I have a backup 100w heater in storage because I could either use it in my new 10g QT/hospital tank or to replace my 20g tank heater if something goes wrong with it.

I do believe that you'll cycle this time. You were using a substandard filter setup from an aquarium kit before, and now you have two filters that I'm sure you put the best filter media in.

Pretty soon :banghead: will turn into :dance:.

;)

If ammonia is steadily dropping, there is absolutely conversion going on. Unless you have plants, there's nowhere for it to go other than being consumed by the BB. Since you have seeded media (you do, right?), it's not a bad idea to keep testing for nitrAtes. It seems some media can be more abundant with no2 to no3 bacteria...so it's conceivable to initially see nitrAtes climb without ever seeing nitrItes because the nitrIte is being constantly converted into no3 the moment it is produced.

Well I don't have that much media lol Maybe a 1/2-1 cup of gravel in a mesh bag and a small rock. It had better not skip the nitrite phase, I WILL see a purple tube before this is done!

I had some time this morning as I'm going into work late so I went to PetSmart and got the 100w heater from Aqueon; same brand I have now, just the larger one. I checked the thermometer this morning (after the A/C was on all night) and the temp was only about 78. The heater is submersed and getting used to the temp before I turn it on.

I had weird dreams last night about my tank too lol The foam had come back and then the tank kept growing saltwater things in it, by the end of the dream I had an octopus in there. :blink:

What is the status LG?!?!

Ammonia dropping slowly. Last night it was down to between 0.5-1 so I redosed to 3 ppm (this is the 2nd time I've redosed since starting, not counting the initial dose). Still no nitrItes. :mad:

It'll be 3 weeks on Sunday.

The water is still clear too, no bacterial bloom. Not sure if this is bad.

I was hoping this time would be on the quicker end of the cycle time but it looks like it's going to try for the full 6-8+ weeks :banghead:

I hope something happens soon. Eco (or anyone) when should I start worrying if I don't see nitrites?

Thanks for asking!!

Back
Top Bottom