Fishless Cycle Log/Rebuild - Take II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Jimmy!

Tonight's numbers:

Ammonia: 0 (I keep waiting for it to be green again lol)
Nitrite: 0 (same with the purple :D )
Nitrate: 40 :eek: (jumped from 5 last night after a full pwc!)
PH: 7 (holding....so far)

I'm worried about the flow in my tank; I think it's rather excessive, but I'm not sure how to reduce it. On the AquaClear HOB I have it on the lowest flow setting, and I have a sponge around the intake and on the outtake flow, but it doesn't seem to help much. On the Fluval, I put it as low as I could without it being off. Here's a vid of the flow: any opinions and help on how to fix it would be great. Plus all the flow is causing very tiny bubbles which makes the tank look a bit cloudy. I'm not sure the fish, the CPDs in particular, will like too much flow either:

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Other than that I'm excited....and nervous. :D Fish are coming on Thursday! :dance: I'm also highly considering ordering some Panda Corys and a couple of Nerite snails.

librarygirl said:
Thanks Jimmy!

Tonight's numbers:

Ammonia: 0 (I keep waiting for it to be green again lol)
Nitrite: 0 (same with the purple :D )
Nitrate: 40 :eek: (jumped from 5 last night after a full pwc!)
PH: 7 (holding....so far)

I'm worried about the flow in my tank; I think it's rather excessive, but I'm not sure how to reduce it. On the AquaClear HOB I have it on the lowest flow setting, and I have a sponge around the intake and on the outtake flow, but it doesn't seem to help much. On the Fluval, I put it as low as I could without it being off. Here's a vid of the flow: any opinions and help on how to fix it would be great. Plus all the flow is causing very tiny bubbles which makes the tank look a bit cloudy. I'm not sure the fish, the CPDs in particular, will like too much flow either:

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Other than that I'm excited....and nervous. :D Fish are coming on Thursday! :dance: I'm also highly considering ordering some Panda Corys and a couple of Nerite snails.

First, that looks like an AWESOME home for CPD's with all that cover.

It is some serious flow, but maybe all the DW and plants will provide areas where the current is less strong and the fish can get a rest. I don't know what type of areas CPD's come from and what the current is like in their habitat. I know Corys won't care one bit :) Have you thought about taking out the second filter? Just keep it in the closet as a backup? Will everything fit in the AQ?

I vote a strong yes on the Pandas, I guarantee you'll love them, and if the Pygmy Corys didn't do it for you, Pandas are the next best choice for your tank IMO ...but you should get the fish you want after all this work :)

First, that looks like an AWESOME home for CPD's with all that cover.

It is some serious flow, but maybe all the DW and plants will provide areas where the current is less strong and the fish can get a rest. I don't know what type of areas CPD's come from and what the current is like in their habitat. I know Corys won't care one bit :) Have you thought about taking out the second filter? Just keep it in the closet as a backup? Will everything fit in the AQ?

I vote a strong yes on the Pandas, I guarantee you'll love them, and if the Pygmy Corys didn't do it for you, Pandas are the next best choice for your tank IMO ...but you should get the fish you want after all this work :)

Take a filter out, are you nuts?! lol

The only filter I would consider taking out would be the sponge I got from Angels Plus, but it's only causing some bubbles to go to the top and not much flow. I'll probably use it to seed the ADF tank once I set it up. The AC is jam packed, can't fit anything else in there. I'll have to play around a bit more with both and see if I can figure something out.

I can't believe I'm going to be getting FISH this week!!! :dance:

I'm going to let them settle in on Thursday, no lights or food, so no pics or videos until Friday. :) Then this thread will be officially closed (bummer, but in a good way lol).

Just make it a librarygirl whatever's going on thread lol

I was worried about all the flow in my tank and if you ever seen pics of my tank it's a lot but now my fish play in the currents so it's all good

Here is a pic you can see there is a serious current and the fish don't mind

Just make it a librarygirl whatever's going on thread lol

I was worried about all the flow in my tank and if you ever seen pics of my tank it's a lot but now my fish play in the currents so it's all good

Here is a pic you can see there is a serious current and the fish don't mind

Awesome tank Ryan!!

Tomorrow's the big day!!! :fish1:

My 12 Celestial Pearl Danios are coming tomorrow.

I did a 100% water change (nitrate down to .25 - slightly orange but not 5);
Turned the heater down to 76;
Was able to reduce the flow on the Fluval so it's a lot better;
I did NOT add ammonia. ;)

So, just waiting for the fish. :) I took tomorrow off of work so I'll be here when the fish arrive. I've practiced setting up a drip acclimation so that's all set. After settling in all day (my mail should come fairly early) I should be able to turn lights on and get some vids/pics up tomorrow night.

I also ordered 5 Panda Corys and 2 Horned Nerite snails from Severum Mama & HN1; they shipped today; should be getting those Friday or Saturday.

That should leave me some room for the future if there's something I want to add, but I think I'm going to be happy with this stocking for a long while.

The CPD breeder is sending some food along with them, but I also have NLS Community Micro Pellets (.5 mm), algae wafers, frozen daphnia and frozen spirulina shrimp, frozen peas, and veggie discs. I'll give the NLS Pellets about 4 days per week, maybe fast 1 day, peas 1 day, and on the extra day alternate between the frozen foods, algae wafers, and veggie discs (maybe I'll try some fresh veggies too). :D

They are drip acclimating now. All 12 are alive. I put a few drops of Stress Coat in their acclimation bucket and I'll wait until the water level triples, then into the tank they go. Hopefully tonight I can get some video. :D

All I have is...
SSSQQQQQQQQUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
So excited and pleased for you, you've worked really hard for this and soldiered on long after I would have given up, kudos to you missy :D
I can't wait to see some pics of the little blighters :dance:

All I have is...
SSSQQQQQQQQUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
So excited and pleased for you, you've worked really hard for this and soldiered on long after I would have given up, kudos to you missy :D
I can't wait to see some pics of the little blighters :dance:

Thanks! I can't wait until tonight to turn the lights on and get some video! And yes they sure are small little buggers; it's hard to tell in the bucket but I think they are juvie CPDs, although full grown ones are pretty small too so I can't tell yet.

And I get to do this again tomorrow night when my Panda Corys & Nerite Snails come! :dance:

I'm glad I took the day off of work today lol. I can't do the same tomorrow, so the Pandas and snails are going to have to hang out in the mailbox until I get home. :D

Yay! I love it! :D

The tank and the fish look great (I'm not just saying it to be nice...I REALLY like it) :)

It's been a long road...do your best to just sit back and enjoy it now...you've earned the relaxation.

I'm very happy for you, and I know the rest of the site is as well. :)

Yay!!! Youve been waiting so long for this! Congrats!

Just on a site note, What's the background music for your video? It sounds familiar, but i cant think of it and its driving me nuts!

Back
Top Bottom