Fishless Cycle Log/Rebuild - Take II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
librarygirl said:
I saw your other reply about wanting sand; I'm glad your wife went for it. It looks AMAZING, never going back to gravel again. :D Yeah I'm definitely not doing any more water changes until this thing ends (unless I have to for some reason). You're right though it's going to take two large ones at least to get nitrates down. Last night after the pwc I did it went down to about 80-ish, tonight it's back up. Sheesh. Those BB are messy little buggers. :D

Better start stockpiling water.

Oh, questions before I forget:

- I have a mesh bag of a large amount of crushed coral in the tank now. What do I do with it once the tank is ready? Should I leave some in the filter and make sure it stays stable before adding fish?

- I'm assuming for the spring water I should stick to using one kind, right? Right now I admit I cheat a bit and mix the PureLife with Poland Spring, but PS has a much less PH than Pure Life does, so once fish are going in I'm assuming I'll want to keep the water the same (or will it not matter with the CC in there). Trying to find shortcuts from lugging 5 gal jugs up the stairs but I guess I can't get away with avoiding it long-term. :D

Um, I think that's it for questions, for now. :) Thanks.

Since you've already had an out of the blue pH crash, it's probably a good idea to permanently run a small bag in the filter just like I do. You don't want that happening when you're stocked.

I'd stick with one brand so it's consistent, and I'd also do smaller but more frequent water changes since we're gonna be relying on the CC somewhat to buffer and slightly raise the pH.

There may be some company that delivers giant jugs to your door like they have in offices. You can call around to the distributers who have vending machines in your area and see if they deliver it. I guess you could even set up a water cooler (minus the cooler) and fill buckets or jugs directly from that. :)

Since you've already had an out of the blue pH crash, it's probably a good idea to permanently run a small bag in the filter just like I do. You don't want that happening when you're stocked.

I'd stick with one brand so it's consistent, and I'd also do smaller but more frequent water changes since we're gonna be relying on the CC somewhat to buffer and slightly raise the pH.

There may be some company that delivers giant jugs to your door like they have in offices. You can call around to the distributers who have vending machines in your area and see if they deliver it. I guess you could even set up a water cooler (minus the cooler) and fill buckets or jugs directly from that. :)

Thanks Eco! Oh yeah for weekly water changes....I want to do more than less, obviously. I was thinking 50-60% per week assuming that's enough to keep nitrates down. So instead of doing one largish one I could do two smaller ones.

Hm, the RO unit is starting to look more appealing.....

I looked online at Stop and Shop's delivery service (Pea Pod) but they don't have the 5 gal jugs listed so there goes that idea. :D I could call around like you said, but the expense of the water plus delivery now....maybe RO would be better?

librarygirl said:
Thanks Eco! Oh yeah for weekly water changes....I want to do more than less, obviously. I was thinking 50-60% per week assuming that's enough to keep nitrates down. So instead of doing one largish one I could do two smaller ones.

Hm, the RO unit is starting to look more appealing.....

I looked online at Stop and Shop's delivery service (Pea Pod) but they don't have the 5 gal jugs listed so there goes that idea. :D I could call around like you said, but the expense of the water plus delivery now....maybe RO would be better?

Yeah, I'm thinking you should only need to do 2x 10-15% changes per week rather than 1 25-30% at once. I just meant to do smaller changes more frequently, rather than a big one which might cause fluctuations (not that it'd be particularly bad).

You already know how I feel about RO ;)

Update? Also, I'd love to see some pics of your tank with the new substrate. :)

Your wish is my command. :D

Last night, not much change: ammonia down to 0 again (yay!), PH holding at 7.6, nitrate between 80-160 and nitrite 2-5.

Tonight everything the same except nitrite is down between .25 and .5 :D

Pics below. My digital camera battery is dead and so I had to use my non-smart phone, so the quality stinks. It'll probably look different when it's done as I need to fill in with some more plants and I'm rethinking that large center piece and not sure about the foreground plants either. The substrate looks great in person, not sure if it looks as impressive in the pics though.

Going to order the stand and decor tonight. Hopefully by the time it gets here the tank will be cycled so I can make sure it's stable and then I can order my fishies. :D

Attachments

• tank1.jpg
    tank1.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 58
  • tank2.jpg
    tank2.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 58
Yay :). Believe it or not...I'd call your tank cycled. I know the rule of thumb is down to zero and zero in 24 hours...but if your bacteria can convert 2ppm ammonia down to zero with .25 no2, you've got a massive and healthy colony of bacteria which can handle fish. Any additional time before adding fish will just help keep growing the bio-filter and guarantee everything will stay zeroed out.

Better tell that stand to hurry up and get there :D

I love the tank. I switched to PFS yesterday and I love it. The black sand will definitely make your fishes colors pop out...and it will show a lot less deitrus. I'm shocked at how much my fish poop onto white sand in a day, haha!

Yay :). Believe it or not...I'd call your tank cycled. I know the rule of thumb is down to zero and zero in 24 hours...but if your bacteria can convert 2ppm ammonia down to zero with .25 no2, you've got a massive and healthy colony of bacteria which can handle fish. Any additional time before adding fish will just help keep growing the bio-filter and guarantee everything will stay zeroed out.

Better tell that stand to hurry up and get there :D

I love the tank. I switched to PFS yesterday and I love it. The black sand will definitely make your fishes colors pop out...and it will show a lot less deitrus. I'm shocked at how much my fish poop onto white sand in a day, haha!

Ha! Any updated pics with the sand?

I have no way of getting CPDs now anyway (the one LFS that had them here, I wouldn't fully trust), plus I'd rather get everything done before getting fish (the background has to be fixed, the stand, aforementioned silk plants, etc) not to mention tons of spring water, so may as well test the cycle in the meantime. :D

Still thinking about RO. I wish I knew for sure how much work would be involved (setting the thing up, making the water, adding nutrients, etc); for now I'll stick to the 5 gal jugs.

Maybe by this time next weekend I'll be able to order my first stock of fish! Yay!! :dance:

librarygirl said:
Ha! Any updated pics with the sand?

I have no way of getting CPDs now anyway (the one LFS that had them here, I wouldn't fully trust), plus I'd rather get everything done before getting fish (the background has to be fixed, the stand, aforementioned silk plants, etc) not to mention tons of spring water, so may as well test the cycle in the meantime. :D

Still thinking about RO. I wish I knew for sure how much work would be involved (setting the thing up, making the water, adding nutrients, etc); for now I'll stick to the 5 gal jugs.

Maybe by this time next weekend I'll be able to order my first stock of fish! Yay!! :dance:

I've got a pic of the tank up in the "Cloudy water, can't shake it" thread where Ryan and I are fighting off some algae issues. I don't want to steal your thunder here...this is a time of celebration for you on this thread :)

I really don't know about aquarium RO's. The residential and commercial ones we use take about 15 minutes to tie into the water line, install a spigot and call it done. Then you just press a button and RO water comes out. I guess a residential system from Home Depot or Lowes tied in the same way would be doable for you...and also give you some good drinking water :)

The mineral products should be as easy as measuring it out and stirring it in. I'd vote you start a thread in the hardware section asking some of the guys about the systems they use, what's involved and if it's difficult to work. Basically all the SW guys use them.

I've got a pic of the tank up in the "Cloudy water, can't shake it" thread where Ryan and I are fighting off some algae issues. I don't want to steal your thunder here...this is a time of celebration for you on this thread :)

I really don't know about aquarium RO's. The residential and commercial ones we use take about 15 minutes to tie into the water line, install a spigot and call it done. Then you just press a button and RO water comes out. I guess a residential system from Home Depot or Lowes tied in the same way would be doable for you...and also give you some good drinking water :)

The mineral products should be as easy as measuring it out and stirring it in. I'd vote you start a thread in the hardware section asking some of the guys about the systems they use, what's involved and if it's difficult to work. Basically all the SW guys use them.

Yeah but then they're going to ask why I'm bothering for a freshwater tank and other than having trouble with my cycle I don't have any definitive answers. What bothers me too is that 1) we don't know for sure it's the water and 2) what exactly might be in (or lacking) the tap water that may have prevented the cycle from forming all of this time and will the RO system remove it? Hypothetically yes, but.....with my luck I'll buy the thing, make the water and all havoc will break lose. Spring water is working; maybe I'll stay with what works for now. When I set up the 5.5 gallon and cycle it for the ADFs maybe I'll experiment with the tap water, but not taking a chance on this tank. :D

Hey I just caught where you said you'd call my tank cycled. No way, I want the full experience and I'm going to get that blue tube and double-zero's! :lol:

Everyone's probably just dying to get this thread over with lol. What will I do with my nights now? ;)

librarygirl said:
Yeah but then they're going to ask why I'm bothering for a freshwater tank and other than having trouble with my cycle I don't have any definitive answers. What bothers me too is that 1) we don't know for sure it's the water and 2) what exactly might be in (or lacking) the tap water that may have prevented the cycle from forming all of this time and will the RO system remove it? Hypothetically yes, but.....with my luck I'll buy the thing, make the water and all havoc will break lose. Spring water is working; maybe I'll stay with what works for now. When I set up the 5.5 gallon and cycle it for the ADFs maybe I'll experiment with the tap water, but not taking a chance on this tank. :D

Hey I just caught where you said you'd call my tank cycled. No way, I want the full experience and I'm going to get that blue tube and double-zero's! :lol:

Everyone's probably just dying to get this thread over with lol. What will I do with my nights now? ;)

Your call :). I'm sure people would be helpful, but yeah, you'd probably have to answer a couple random questions and you're too nice to be rude and say "can you just answer the freaking question please?!"

I'm personally sure it's the water. There's WAY too much coincidence for us to have made the change...then suddenly things start going exactly as planned. Knowing what I do about reverse osmosis, I'm totally confident it would remove anything detrimental that might be in there...and the additives would restore anything you need. But I'm a big believer in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" method.,,and since the spring water is working I'm perfectly cool with you continuing that.

I'll miss this thread when it's done :(. Don't get me wrong, I'm ecstatic for you...but this is the highlight of my daily AA experience. It's been a fun ride (probably more for others than you though :) ).

Nice looking tank! Is that a thunderstorm in the background? Better get an umbrella!

Nice looking tank! Is that a thunderstorm in the background? Better get an umbrella!

:ROFLMAO: No!!! It's driftwood pieces with some large rocks on the bottom (which you can't see b/c it's blocked). I looked again and it does look like lightning! LOL It's driftwood branches though, probably just the bad pic.

And the title goes to Libraygirl! Congratulations and welcome to the world of a cycled tank! Proud of you and you have an incredibly gorgeous tank. You have earned your stripes and more. I truly hope you get to hang out in front of your tank and think about nothing soon.

Wayne

@Deckape - Aw thank you! I couldn't have done it without all of you! I think may hold the title for longest attempt at cycling tanks. LOL When I complete the look of the tank (will probably look very different when it's done lol) and add fish and post pics of my new friends this thread will be officially done. A bit bittersweet, though, but I"ll still be around and I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way!

@zparticle - Thank you! :D

Yes LG, glad to finally see this working out for you. We will miss you. Hope you stay on the forum. Congratulations on your tank.

Jimmy

Double Zeros!!!! :dance:

Ammonia 0 and Nitrite 0!!!

Wahoooooo!!!!!

I think it's cycled. :brows: :D Gosh I never thought I'd say that! lol

Went on an online shopping spree today:

• Bought a stand (Got the one for a 29 gal stand to have a bit more room)
  • A bunch of silk plants from ClubReef Aquarium on Ebay (awesome selection)
  • Not sure I'm happy with the decor piece I have in there; in my mind I had envisioned more of a branchy look. Found this piece at BigAl's so I ordered it.
  • I also ordered some fish food; I bought NLS Community Fish Food pellets and Freeze Dried Tubifex (San Francisco Bay). I've heard mixed things about freeze-dried foods but I'll limit them to 1x a week.
  • Also got an extension for the AquaClear intake so that it will reach toward the bottom more since the Fluval is positioned at the top.

Now I just need to stockpile water like crazy. :blink: I''m going to need to drain the water to move the tank to its stand and even then I'm not sure it'll be enough to get nitrates down enough so I might need to do another one after that. Plus the water for weekly pwc (I'm thinking two 30% pwc per week).

(More) questions:
1. So, what do I feed my fish when I get them? I want them to have a variety. I figure I'll fast one day, one day they'll get thawed peas for digestion. Maybe 2-3 days the NLS pellets, one day the Tubifex and....anything else? Do all fish like veggies?
2. Any thoughts on CPDs (Celestial Pearl Danio) with Cobra Guppies? I've seen them in other tanks together (on YouTube admittedly) and they seem fine. But I know CPDs are small so I want to make sure they'll be OK.

My plan is to: Get the CPDs first (a large shoal, 8-10); after a few weeks get 3-4 Cobra Guppies (if they are OK with the CPDs), then after another few weeks get maybe 3 Corys (what kind? Any thoughts? I really wanted Ottos instead but 1) I won't have enough algae for a while and 2) since they are so sensitive and hard to keep alive I'd rather not try it). And a couple of Horned Nerites. :D

**EDIT** I just checked my log: since adding the spring water and seeded sponge the complete cycle took a little over 3 weeks. I should have added the spring water sooner, huh? lol

:fish1:

Back
Top Bottom