Fishless cycle problems! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RyanBenson

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So, tell me if I'm being impatient but, my ammonia hasn't dropped for over 3 weeks. I'm not sure what to do but I really want to put fish in there! Please help! How many weeks til the ammonia starts dropping???

what is your ammonia at right now? are you saying that in 3 weeks your ammonia has not dropped at all? or is currently stalled?

what is your ammonia at right now? are you saying that in 3 weeks your ammonia has not dropped at all? or is currently stalled?

It's above 4 I believe, probably at a 5 ish. It's kinda a blue/green. And correct, it hasn't dropping in 3 weeks, I read to put finely ground up fish food in there to kinda jump start it again to provide the phosphates and I did, it didn't do anything but collect on the bottom.

I did change some of the water today, about 8 gallons, I have a 55 gallon tank. It brought the tank down to 2. Should I dose it up to 3?

i would leave it at 2 for now, you may have dosed too much not allowing the bacteria to grow, also what is your PH?

i would leave it at 2 for now, you may have dosed too much not allowing the bacteria to grow, also what is your PH?

Oh ok, and I checked it along with my tap water and both are 7.8 I think, I checked it 2 says ago and I'm not at my house right now but I did check my ammonia and nitrates and trites today!

I am not an expert on this and am learning myself. I can tell you this, I increased my tank temp to 84 degrees. I am running a bubbler strip, and have left the tank slightly short of water for more filter turbulence. I waited for my ammonia to go and eventually it did. I am reaching the end of the cycle now. I tried to maintain 3-4ppm ammonia until I started to see the nitrite gain. I also seeded the tank from a good known disease free tank. This forum is awesome with a lot of knowledge.:)

I am not an expert on this and am learning myself. I can tell you this, I increased my tank temp to 84 degrees. I am running a bubbler strip, and have left the tank slightly short of water for more filter turbulence. I waited for my ammonia to go and eventually it did. I am reaching the end of the cycle now. I tried to maintain 3-4ppm ammonia until I started to see the nitrite gain. I also seeded the tank from a good known disease free tank. This forum is awesome with a lot of knowledge.:)

Yeah, I don't have an established tank :/ or else I would've done that! I also have a bubbler strip however I filled my tank up to the brim today. How long did you wait??

Oh my gosh, I am on week three and waiting for the nitrite decline. It is a test of patience. I am dosing to 4ppm ammonia, and within 24 hours it is back down to .50ppm. I know it's working but the nitrite decline is trying my patience:) Congrats on doing the fishless cycle. Hang in there it will happen. I never thought the ammonia would move but all of a sudden it started declining.

Oh my gosh, I am on week three and waiting for the nitrite decline. It is a test of patience. I am dosing to 4ppm ammonia, and within 24 hours it is back down to .50ppm. I know it's working but the nitrite decline is trying my patience:) Congrats on doing the fishless cycle. Hang in there it will happen. I never thought the ammonia would move but all of a sudden it started declining.

Oh ok cool! Well thanks for assuring me there is still hope! Haha congrats on your cycle though!!

you can also look at these, they are active sponge filters and will help your tank cycle much much sooner, i used one in my 38 gallon tank i cycled a few months ago, and it took 1 week to fully cycle once i introduced these.

Aquarium Active Sponge Filters

id recommend 2 day shipping at the least if you decide to get one so that bacteria will still be alive when its gets to you. i did not use the sponge filter the way it should be used, i cut up pieces of it and put in my filters, and the rest just went in the tank, i also dumped all of the water that was in the bag into the tank (per the instructions).

they say red ramhorn snails are a possible passenger on them, though i had none on the sponge and still dont a few months later.

Last edited:
you can also look at these, they are active sponge filters and will help your tank cycle much much sooner, i used one in my 38 gallon tank i cycled a few months ago, and it took 1 week to fully cycle once i introduced these.

Aquarium Active Sponge Filters

id recommend 2 day shipping at the least if you decide to get one so that bacteria will still be alive when its gets to you. i did not use the sponge filter the way it should be used, i cut up pieces of it and put in my filters, and the rest just went in the tank, i also dumped all of the water that was in the bag into the tank (per the instructions).

they say red ramhorn snails are a possible passenger on them, though i had none on the sponge and still dont a few months later.

Oh wow! Thank you so much! Ill have to check them out!!! Would I be able to remove the snails if they get into my tank??

sure, im not sure how much ramhorns breed, but an assassin snail or two would take care of them if it came down to that, and no problem!

Ok, so on the 4th, I posted this thread stating how my ammonia was at 5ish, the day after that I posted that I did a water change. It brought my ammonia down to 2. Today I checked it again and now it's at 4 again. What could possibly releasing ammonia in my tank?? Do dead plants or plants that have some brown in them release ammonia?? Help please!! I have a good amount of java ferns and 3 Kyoto grass plants.

Attachments

• image-2317474515.jpg
    image-2317474515.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 48
  • image-2970336356.jpg
    image-2970336356.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 39
  • image-466795518.jpg
    image-466795518.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 47
Hey Ryan. I'm sure someone on here will help you out. They have helped me greatly with knowledge and a test of patience. In my finite aquarium mind, I would think any organic material, plant life, etc, all are subject to decay and ammonia release. Again that is just my thinking. My tank has finally turned the corner and is creating nitrates. I had to do 8 water changes to get the nitrites squared away, but it seems to be getting in line now. I remember watching my ammonia not move for weeks, and then one day the nitrites were there in full force. Good luck and congrats on patience.

Did you vac up all the fish food when you did a water change? Does the result look green or blue green again? Have you tested your tap for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Some more info will help!

Hey Ryan. I'm sure someone on here will help you out. They have helped me greatly with knowledge and a test of patience. In my finite aquarium mind, I would think any organic material, plant life, etc, all are subject to decay and ammonia release. Again that is just my thinking. My tank has finally turned the corner and is creating nitrates. I had to do 8 water changes to get the nitrites squared away, but it seems to be getting in line now. I remember watching my ammonia not move for weeks, and then one day the nitrites were there in full force. Good luck and congrats on patience.

Ah ok! And thanks! Good to hear yours started!

Back
Top Bottom