Fishless cycle with plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thepokerkid227

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have plants already in my tank that has been cycling for about a week. Most people said it's okay to get plants while it's cycling but this AM I came across an article which said the total opposite. Just trying to get others opinions on the matter. Thanks!

Joe

There's no issue with it provided you dose enough ammonia to keep the cycle going. Plants will consume ammonia as a "food source" to them, which means less "food" for the beneficial bacteria.

I planted while cycling and didnt see any negative effects though. There's benefits too, such as plants being able to establish themselves before you add fish.

If its a fish-in cycle, I personally wouldn't even attempt it without plants.

Plants in a Cycling Tank

I have plants already in my tank that has been cycling for about a week. Most people said it's okay to get plants while it's cycling but this AM I came across an article which said the total opposite. Just trying to get others opinions on the matter. Thanks!

Joe

Hello again The...

I planted my cycling tanks heavily. I used Common water weed mostly. It's a fast grower and helps maintain a more stable water chemistry. Should do very well in a tank with higher nitrogen levels. The more plants the better, no matter what stage the tank is in cycling wise.

B

Well that article in my opinion is all wrong in a heavily plant tank, planted with fast growing plant species you can actually have what is called a "silent cycle". Here is a few articles on it. Also if it helps I just finish cycling a planted and the plants and the new fish are happy as larks!
Silent Cycling in a Planted Aquarium - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish
Preferred new tank cycle method - General Aquarium Plants Discussions - Aquatic Plant Central
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...iment-and-journal-heavily-planted-215236.html

Back
Top Bottom