Fishless Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks.

Ok, so I'm about 22 hours away from the last time I added ammonia (about 4 ppm). My readings now are ammonia 0.00 PPM and nitrites still 5.0 PPM :( should nitries drop in the next few hours? is it a nitrite spike? Should I add about 1 PPM of ammonia now or wait and add it tomorrow as I check again to see if nitrites dropped?

When I say tomorrow I mean in the morning (Sunday) I didn't realize it's latter than midnight in Florida, so we are already at tomorrow. lol

Before the cycle was completed ammonia used to take about 12 hours to drop to 0.25 ppm, now is taking about 21 hours to drop to 0.00 PPM, that's still fine, but I don't see nitrites dropping, maybe I added to much ammonia last night after I did the PWC. I don't think any bacteria will die if I add 1 PPM of ammonia tomorrow morning instead of doing it right now, although ammonia is at 0 ppm now. If nitrites dropped by the morning I will add ammonia by then and if not I will probably add it, too.

I think you are just at the point I mentioned where you're watching the transition from ammo > nitrItes > nitrAtes. I would let your ammo and no2 drop to 0 (count how long it takes) and redose up only to around 1ppm...just enough to keep the bacteria fed without building up too many nitrAtes. Don't worry! You're right where you should be...I know, I've been there :)

It took ammonia anywhere between 17 to 22 hours to drop from near 4 ppm to 0 and it took 23 hours to drop nitrites to around 2.0 ppm, they are at 2 or 3 ppm right now, and it's been 23 hours since I dosed the tank with around 4 ppm of ammonia. Of course I won't have an exact record of how many hours it took to drop to 0 ppm, but I can have an idea that it takes between "x" to "x" hours. I know ammonia takes less than 22 hours, and nitrites are close to that for what I'm observing. I will check in a few hours, I'm almost sure it takes nitrites any where from 24 to 30 hours (guessing). Then I will wait until both are 0 ppm to dose about 1 ppm ammonia, and then, I will try to record how long it takes to convert 1 ppm of ammonia into nitrites and then nitrates, if it takes less than 12 hours I'm set. I say 12 hours, not 24, because I'm dosing only 1 ppm this time. If everything goes as I expect it I will do a PWC at night, to reduce excess nitrates and then continue to feed 1 ppm of ammonia every 24 hours until I get the fish. I know I'm saying the same thing over and over again sometimes, but I just want to pay attention to details and stay on the right path. Thanks again for your help.

You're doing perfect. Remember that the way you're building your bio-filter is designed to be overkill. It is conditioned to handle more than you'll ever throw at it. Just be patient and wait till ammo and no2 drop to zero, then give the bacteria just enough food to keep them going. It's funny, because the same questions you're asking now are the exact ones I had at your point...and everything worked out flawlessly for my happy little fish that moved in :)

To put it bluntly...a bacteria colony that can take 4ppm down to 0 and reduce that many nitrItes in 24 hours...is one ______ of a bio-filter. Fish poo doesn't stand a chance of challenging that bio-filter :)

Haha! I know! One thing that this hobby has is that as begginers we all ask pretty much the same questions! and it's great to have people that has been there and are willing to help and share their experiences and knowledge. Nitrites 0.50 ppm as of now, it took 31 hours to drop to 0.50 ppm, I wish I could check again in about 2 hours and add 1 ppm ammonia if nitrites finally read 0.00 ppm, but unfortunately I have to leave in about 45 mins. and I won't be back until late in the afternoon. Should I add some ammonia now? or it's okay to test and add when I come back, I don't want the bacteria to die from not having an ammonia source, the been at 0 ppm since midnight, at least.

The bacteria will survive for quite a while without ammo. I'd just keep feeding it a little bit at a time until you're ready to do your big pwc and stock. I've heard it can go about a week, but I'd try to not let it sit at 0 for more than a day. When your trying to colonize it is when it's important to keep it dosed up high, right now you're just trying to sustain the population you have.

I finally waited a little bit this morning and tested for nitrites, I couldn't leave without doing it :). Nitrites were 0.25 PPM at 10:25 AM and a little later (11:35 AM) they were at 0.00 PPM. So, at 11:40 AM I added 1 PPM of ammonia and left. In conclusion, 22 hours to drop ammonia from 4 ppm to 0 and about 33 hours to drop nitrites from more than 5 PPM to 0 PPM. I just came back and these are the readings after adding 1 PPM of ammonia at 11:40 AM (7.5 hours ago):

Ammonia: 0.00 PPM
Nitrites: about 0.75 PPM
Nitrates: Same "blood" red as before, which I think it's between 80 and 160 PPM. No color to compare on color chart.

Should I add 1 PPM of ammonia again now or wait until tomorrow morning? I guess every 24 hours it's fine, like you said, because if I add it now it would be close to 8 hours since the last time I added ammonia this morning. It took less than 7.5 hours to drop ammonia from 1 PPM to 0 PPM. PWC now? to drop nitrates or leave the PWC for a day or two before I stock the tank?

Yeah, I'd only do it every 24 hours. You have absolutely one of the strongest bio filters I've seen developed...you're gonna have very happy fish. I can't remember when you said you're gonna get fish, so if it's gonna still be a while you can do a pwc just to get the nitrAtes down to readable levels just to help your sanity :). If it's gonna be soon, just do a HUGE pwc the night before (90% or so) to get the nitrAtes below 20.

Word of warning, if after you do a pwc you see ammonia that just means that your tap water has chloramines and will be rendered non toxic by your dechlorinator like Prime. The biofilter will eat it right up. So don't freak out if you see ammo after a pwc :)

Sounds good, perfect! I'm at the fun part now. I will decide on the fish I'm going to get and I can see when to do the PWC according to that. Thanks a lot!!! I will add 1 PPM of ammonia, again, tomorrow morning.

I have some in the Freshwatrer Pics forum it's titled "My Fish Tank 120 Gallon" or something like that. Those pics are about 2 or 3 months old. I will post new pics soon on that same topic.

A few minutes ago I've refilled about 3 liters (little less than one gallon) on the sump because it evaporated, However, I've added dechlorinator right on the sump, next to the pump, and then added the new water there, too. I probably should have had turned off the pump, but I added more dechlorinator than I had to. Do you think those 3 litters affected the cycle?

Nah, you'll be fine. You worry too much! You're doing great! It was awesome seeing you helping someone else out with their fishless cycling questions! Thanks for sharing your knowledge with others who need it!

By the way, I just checked nitrites and they are at 0 PPM, now. They were at 0.75 when I tested a couple hours ago. Tomorrow morning I will add 1 PPM of ammonia and check the levels when I get home from work. Nitrates are really high so I will probably do a PWC and keep adding 1 PPM of ammonia every 24 hours or so, to fed the bacteria while trying to keep nitrates low and then I probably do another water change before stocking with fish as you suggested.

Back
Top Bottom