Fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They gasp. Well the sick ones do. Ammonia of .5 in tap. Been buying spring water for water changes. I have salt. And still bright! add salt?

They gasp. Well the sick ones do. Ammonia of .5 in tap. Been buying spring water for water changes. I have salt. And still bright! add salt?

Drop the water level so the filter splashes. It will be noisy but will help promote oxygen exchange. Bright is good! Because of the eel and catfish only use a half dose of salt. One tablespoon per 10 gallons of water. Pre mix it with some tank water and add 1/4 of the solution every few hours. When you do a water change you will need to dose what had been removed. 50% water change will remove 50% of the salt. Keep an eye on the eel and catfish and if you notice them becoming uncomfortable discontinue its use.

Alright I'll drop the water level and add the salt tonight. Thanks again.

Can you explain how what I'm doing with the salt and the raised temp actually makes them better?

I just like to understand it.

Sure. The high heat (86+) stops the ich parasite from reproducing.
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php
This article explains the heat treatment.
The salt helps deter the growth of bacteria and promotes the fishes slime coat helping them fight off disease. Larger amounts of salt (0.3%) actually kill the ich but its not recommended to expose tropical fish to that much salt (other than a quick dip).

Ahh okay! Thanks! That's always reassuring to see some science behind it.

Side question: I know I can't put any fish with my betta in his 5 gal. As answered by Andrew, but what about shrimp? Or also no?

No problem.

It depends on the Bettas personality. Some tolerate shrimp but most hunt them down and eat them. You could try but start with cheap shrimp and provide lots of cover.

Alright! I plan on heavily planting it. Once this is accomplished, only then will I try any shrimp. Thanks!

Green tiger barb died today when I was gone. And the fin rot looks a little worse on one of em. :/

Well the ick doesn't seem any better.

The fish are less lethargic which is good, but they still have white spots on them, and in higher numbers on some of the fish.

You added the salt and the temp is at 86 degrees?

Sorry for the loss of the one fish :( Sometimes things just like us get sick to where it can't be helped. It sounds like your saying they may be getting a little better? That's a good sign :). The ick always gets worse before it gets better. If I remember right its usually around the 9-11th day before it really starts looking better.

How's the fins doing? Hopefully healing or staying the same?

Yeah it's okay, I knew the green one was pretty doomed he had fin rot and ick so bad from the start.

Well like I said more ick spots but less lethargic and some appetite has returned so I suppose that's good!

The fin rot is at a stand still it would seem.
Two of the tiger barbs got the fin rot pretty awful, but it seems it isn't affecting the fins anymore so on them or the others.

EDIT: yes I did add salt and temp is at 86!

Yeah it's okay, I knew the green one was pretty doomed he had fin rot and ick so bad from the start.

Well like I said more ick spots but less lethargic and some appetite has returned so I suppose that's good!

The fin rot is at a stand still it would seem.
Two of the tiger barbs got the fin rot pretty awful, but it seems it isn't affecting the fins anymore so on them or the others.

That's good to hear maybe a promising end :) just keep doing water changes and cleaning the gravel. Make sure your keeping an eye on water quality as well. Keep us updated. Mumma will be around in a couple hours and will probably be glad to see that they are doing good.

That's good to hear maybe a promising end :) just keep doing water changes and cleaning the gravel. Make sure your keeping an eye on water quality as well. Keep us updated. Mumma will be around in a couple hours and will probably be glad to see that they are doing good.

Ahh, cool! I did a water change last night. I've been doing them every other day or so. Does this sound right?

Also I don't have anything to clean the glass, do I need too? Or just the gravel n such?

Ahh, cool! I did a water change last night. I've been doing them every other day or so. Does this sound right?

Also I don't have anything to clean the glass, do I need too? Or just the gravel n such?

Yep your doing a fine job if you want something to clean the glass I would look into a mag float. Most of the ick will be.laying on the substrate

Just an update:

Fin rot is over pretty confident, some
Fish have begun regrowing fins.

Ick is nearly non-existent. Only one fish has a couple spots on him the rest are clear.

Everyone has their appetite back, and everyone is active again.

Today I'm going to do another water change and gravel clean.

Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom