Fishless cycles and cold water.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

molliwopp

Aquarium Advice Addict
My fish arrive on tuesday and my tank finished cycling a week ago. Im doing 2 90% changes tomorrow to get the water as clean and fresh as possible.

The problem is i want to use the hose from outside because 65gallons the old fasion way is going to take along time but im worried because the water temp will be dramtic from 78ºf to 50ºf and im worried the temperature shock will kill off bacteria.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I only use those hose outside on the original fill of the tank. It would be risky id think this close to adding new fish. Cant bite the bullet and make the tap work?

The bacteria will not be killed by the temperature drop, they'll just slow down the nitrification.

Fish, on the other hand, are a different story. So long as the tank is warm by the time you introduce the fish you'll be okay.

It will be a shock for your bacteria but they should recover. A couple of degrees at once is not a big deal but a 28+ degree drop at once may not go over quite as well. Over weeks or months, this size drop would not be dramatic. If this is your only reasonable option, just make sure you keep a close watch on your parameters after adding your fish. :)

Well ive decided to do it 12hrs early just to make sure i reach the desired temp and the water has settled fully. I have 2 u4 so will swap the medias around anyway a day after adding the fish.

I use the hose connected to my washer hookups but I only use the cold water. If its too cold outside I do my weekly 50% changes broken up into a few hours apart into smaller %s

Hi. I'm new. But, I thought unconditioned water would kill the bacteria. Will they be ok with unconditioned water?

Also, I was wondering if you have a big soup pot and boil some water to mix with the hose water. Alternating. Slowly... Like 10 gal. Cold, soup pot of hot, 10 gal cold...

Good luck!

Just condition your tank before adding the water. I do that and never have problems. Condition for your entire tank

Turn off your filters and don't turn then back on until the water temp has raised if your over concerned, the bacteria will be fine, the don't die immediately like fish.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My fish arrive on tuesday and my tank finished cycling a week ago. Im doing 2 90% changes tomorrow to get the water as clean and fresh as possible.

The problem is i want to use the hose from outside because 65gallons the old fasion way is going to take along time but im worried because the water temp will be dramtic from 78ºf to 50ºf and im worried the temperature shock will kill off bacteria.

Get a Python water changer! I got one when I upgrade to a 60g and can't imagine life without it. Hooks up to your faucet and both drains and fills the tank without hassle. Water changes are a breeze.

Back
Top Bottom