fishless cycling help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

delyla

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 20 gallon tank and i was trying to cycle it with ammonia. my ammonia sollution is 10%. For the first dose i put 3 teaspoons, which i now realize was too much. I tested the water and it is a blueish-green color which is off the chart. Please help

Its ok since there are no fish in the water.
wait for the ammonia levels to go down check every 2-3 days.

to fishless cycle it is best to have a relable test kit like api master water test. the ammoniu dose should close to 4ppm make sure that you have declorinaded the water with a product like PRIME.. If you levels are above 8pmm this will stop all growth and kill any you bactera you have.
IMO just start over with fresh declorinated water a add a little ammmouna at a time to get the level to 4ppm and let the bactria go to work.

How high does the test kit scale go for ammonia? If you can estimate your actual reading, just do a PWC to get your ammonia levels to about 4ppm. Example: If you think your ammonia is at 8ppm, do a 50% PWC and you'll be at 4ppm. No need to start all over.

i think i used either 1/2 or 3/4 of a teaspoon to get 4ppm in my 55g, so i'd say you're going to need to do a huge water change to get it down. read the link in my signature on fishless cycling, that should help too :)

Back
Top Bottom