Fishless cycling of a 29 G tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JWitter

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello first time posting. I recently set up a 29 gallon tank for my 2 yr old. I am trying a fishless cycle with ammonia to start with. It has been 12 days since I first added ammonia, it has dropped once and I have added another dose. However I have not yet seen any nitrites in the tank. I was told by someone in a fish store that I should see nitrites by now and that I should add some bacteria starter liquid that they sold me. Does that stuff work? Should I be seeing nitrites by now? Any help would be appreciated. I have read some articles on here about fishless cycling but this is my first time doing so.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have 3 main questions:
Should I worry about no nitrites after 13 days and 2 ammonia cycles.
2. Is it beneficial to add seachem stability to help with cycling.
3. If water level begins to get low should I add water or just leave it alone.

If youve seen your ammonia drop already then things are starting.

I used Nite-Out II and it didnt work
I used Tetra Safestart and it worked

Whats your PH level?

I always replaced evaporated water during cycling. Make sure you dose with Prime anytime you add water.

PH is 7.8 , I will replace the water then. I added a bit of fish food about 4 days ago, should I add more or just let the cycle work its magic. Water temp is 86

Hi JW. When ammonia is converted to nitrite and then into nitrate it is common to miss the nitrite spike. It is not always the case that ammonia to nitrite bacteria establish in total before nitrite to nitrate bacteria establish. They can both increase slowly at about the same rate so a nitrite spike is not apparent. I have never had a nitrite reading. So I concentrate on the reduction of ammonia and the increase in nitrate as an easier way of assessing the cycle. Obviously nitrite must be processed and if you have a reading you're not quite there but I would concentrate on nitrates. If ammonia is being successfully processed then nitrates go sky high. I hope that made sense ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

PH is still good, Ammonia is dropping again, and I am finally registering some nitrites. Thanks for the help, and telling me to have patience.

Back
Top Bottom