Fishless cycling question....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ice Man

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been cycling 30gallon saltwater for about 8 days now. 36 hours after dosing 4ppm of ammonia there is no trace of it. There is also no trace of NitrItes. NitrAtes are around 50ppm. Should I do PWC and add some more ammonia to keep it cycling some more or should I do 90% water change and consider it cycled?
I will not be stocking it at least until July 8th so I am not in a hurry.
Some info about my tank,
30 gallon
40 lb of cured live rock
40lb of dry base rock
40lb of live Carib Sea sand
10 gallon sump/refugium
Hob CPR protein skimmer with rio Venturi 600 pump
200w power compact light 10k/actinic

Also is it good time to add PurpleUp for coralline algae? I read somewhere that keeping acitinic light on during cycling will promote growth of coralline algae. I am afraid that it may cause algae bloom.

Here it latest pic:

Thanks

Attachments

• image-1537827034.jpg
    image-1537827034.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 57
I'm a freshwater person myself, so take this with a grain of salt(water). ;-)

If you're not stocking until July 8th, I'd just continue with the ammonia dosing until just before stocking and do the water change then. After all, you'll be building up nitrates in the meantime, so you'll probably be doing a water change just before adding fish anyway.

Can't answer the coralline algae question though -- freshwater guy, and all.

I would put a frozen shrimp in a net and let it decay to keep a source of ammonia for the bacteria to live off of until you get your fish. Also, I wouldn't ever add purple up. When that stuff gets on the front glass, it's so frustrating to get off. Also, I have heard of coralline damaging pumps. Your choice though, but coralline algae needs good water conditions. Jmo

Back
Top Bottom