Fishless cycling uncertainity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jlk said:
Thanks again everyone!!! So my question for today is im only starting off with my 2 black moors in this 50gal tank. I do plan on 2 more fish but i havent found what im looking for yet. I know i have a great set of bacteria right now but will it survive with just 2 fish to serve as the source of ammonia??? They are only about 2-3in big. Thanks again!

It depends on the time frame. Since you did a fishes cycle at 4ppm...it can handle the full bio-load right out of the gate. I wouldn't have any concerns whatsoever about adding the full stock. However, as the poster above said, the bacteria will adjust over time to the waste produced in the tank. The exact time frame that beneficial bacteria begins to die off isn't exact...but I'd say that if it's been more than a week to add slowly from there on out.

Reactions: jlk
Thanks again everyone!!!! You have been a TREMENDOUS help getting me through cycling the RIGHT way!!!!! My moors (well, 1 moor & 1 moor nympth-pic on is new aquisitions forum) are happily in their new tank and seem to be doing well except for some 'odd' behavior. One is relentlessly chasing & hitting the other....the water is fine & both are healthy. Am i seeing 'breeding' behavior? I dont know what else to make it (and i know nothing about fish breeding) other than they are just adjusting to their new environment!!! Thanks AGAIN!!!!!!! jessica

Thanks again everyone!!!! You have been a TREMENDOUS help getting me through cycling the RIGHT way!!!!! My moors (well, 1 moor & 1 moor nympth-pic on is new aquisitions forum) are happily in their new tank and seem to be doing well except for some 'odd' behavior. One is relentlessly chasing & hitting the other....the water is fine & both are healthy. Am i seeing 'breeding' behavior? I dont know what else to make it (and i know nothing about fish breeding) other than they are just adjusting to their new environment!!! Thanks AGAIN!!!!!!! jessica

Congrats! I've never heard of nymph goldfish! I did just to some searching and found that yes during breeding they can be aggressive to the female, so much so that the female can be overly harassed and even injured (assuming they are of different genders; if you can confirm this it would help). Keep an eye on them. If the other goldfish seems to be harassed and can't fight off the male you may have to separate them or return one. If they are both male, they could be fighting for territory, maybe. Good luck!

Hi! I honestly have no idea how sex goldfish!!! I watched a utube video that featured 'breeding tuberules' on a male goldfish...there are none on either fish (yet...) so i guess im going to keep an eye on them for now! I dont think they grow overnight (??) but it looks like i might be venturing into new territory! Lets hope things calm down!!!

Back
Top Bottom