Fishless to fish-in (Neon Tetras, HELP!!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TangoTank

Aquarium Advice FINatic
6 Neon Tetras in 15 gal column
(began non-seeded fishless cycle May 7th)

Temp: 78 degrees (just the indoor temp of my house)
pH: 7.4
Ammonia: 0 (trace, maybe)
NitrItes: 0 (trace, maybe)
NitrAtes: 10ppm

At first, they were schooling & hanging in 1 spot a few minutes at a time (not really sure if that counts as "schooling!"). 12 hours later, they are all separate & seems at least 1 of them is picking on the others. Is this normal... And they're just figuring out their higherarchy or I need to get the problem fish out? Also, I don't know how to gauge how much to feed them, any tips, tricks or thoughts?? THANKS!!

I don't know about your fish but thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth about fish in. I was having a terrible time with getting my tank to cycle and my fish were "pouty" and hiding with all of the water changes. Someone suggested tetra safestart to help the filter along and wow! I added a bottle and was told not to do anything... No test, no water change, leave it alone for 14 days. After a week, I could not stand it so I tested the water and lo and behold the ammonia was 0 where before it would never go below 0.25-0.5. And I had nitrates! My fish were much more active and happier. I am now a believer. You don't have to use this but I just thought I'd share my success.

Thks for your reply. My tank had been processing 3ppm ammonia in about 3 days w/ zero NitrItes, so 6 Tetras should be good plus I'm monitoring it closely. Since I've worked soooooo hard on this cycle, putting any outside bacteria, etc in freaks me out! But I do appreciate the thought!

Ok... Here's what I did...

I turned my 8" bubble wand back on. I turned it off last nite b/c they seemed to be struggling in the current, they seemed more relaxed & able to explore w/ it off. Now, there's a few pickin on each other. I got to thinkin'... Maybe they need to be kept busy. Fish are like dogs, right?? Ha ha... jk. So it seems to have done the trick! They're not struggling or stressed & are still exploring but not messing w/ each other hardly at all.

This is so funny, I can't think about anything else but these tiny lil fish!

I know that feeling! I have said numerous times, "who is more stressed? Probably me!"

3rd day in the tank

Ammonia: 0 (trace, maybe)
NitrItes: ZERO
NitrAtes: 5ppm

Forgot to tell ya... Added some Anacharis when I added the fish. How long w/ these great numbers before I can try adding another small school? Im thinkin maybe right now i have more BB than i need from my fishless cycle that i should take advantage before they starve & throw those 6 Pygmy Corys in. THANKS!!

Edit: decided to go w/ 4 Pygmy Corys

4th day in the tank

Ammonia: 0
NitrAtes: 5-10ppm

+ 6 anacharis strands

****How long w/ these great numbers before I can try adding another small school?****

I think maybe I have more BB than I need from my fishless cycle that I should take advantage before they starve & stick my 4 Pygmy Corys in. THANKS!!

7th day in the tank

Ammonia: 0
NitrAtes: 10ppm

+ 6 anacharis strands

How long w/ these great numbers before I can try adding another small school? (4 Pygmy Corys)

****How much water should I change for my first PWC?****

THANKS!!

I went ahead & did about a 25% PWC. I tried to search how much of a weekly water change 1 should do on a tank w/ good params, couldn't find anything. I've read guidelines but don't remember where I saw it!

I feel invisible...

I see you :)

Not sure on the pwc amount if you are lightly stocked 25% is probably the high end, but I don't think it will hurt to overkill! I don't know how accurate aq advisor is for it, but if you put in your stock it gives a water change estimate....

can't wait to see your corys!

pugmom said:
I see you :)

Not sure on the pwc amount if you are lightly stocked 25% is probably the high end, but I don't think it will hurt to overkill! I don't know how accurate aq advisor is for it, but if you put in your stock it gives a water change estimate....

can't wait to see your corys!

Ok. Thks!! I'm gonna try to just do 10% weekly as to not shock them w/ too much of a water change at once if my params are good. I didn't think about the fact that I'd be rapidly changing things like minerals, rapidly reducing NitrAtes. Not sure WHY it didn't cross my mind!! ACK! Anyway, live 'n learn! So I got my Corys today... didn't get Pygmys, got 4 Peppered--I misunderstood LFS guy who i spoke to on the phone that they had Pygmys. I can't find any place w/in 100s of miles that carry Pygmys! They fit in nicely. I think my Tetras like their wafers better than the Corys do!

be prepared for the possibility of a good ammonia spike with the new cory's, test often because you have to remember your filter media isn't mature and won't be able to handle large amounts of waste all of a sudden, it's best to go gradually when adding fish to a newly cycled tank, so I just wanted to point that out :)

Miss.Jo said:
be prepared for the possibility of a good ammonia spike with the new cory's, test often because you have to remember your filter media isn't mature and won't be able to handle large amounts of waste all of a sudden, it's best to go gradually when adding fish to a newly cycled tank, so I just wanted to point that out :)

This is a lil like closing the barn door after the cows already got out. Mentioned getting the Corys w/ no AA replies. I got the fish because I had awesome params in my tank. I'm gone now for a couple of days and having my fishkeeper do some small extra PWCs as prophylaxis. Let's pray for the best!!

true, but in my defense I wasn't here when you started the thread lol. Can always use it for future reference

It isn't a HUGE deal anyway, just keep your eyes peeled for a spike, and you know how to handle it so you should do just fine

If you had steadily good parameters, I don't see why you shouldn't have put in the cories. Yes, you might see the ammonia rise, but that is part of a fish in cycle and if you do a good number of PWC's you should be fine. Good luck:D

-bud

An update... As soon as I returned from my trip my Tank water was zero (or VERY lil) ammonia, ZERO NitrItes, NitrAtes 10-20ppm. My fish keeper changed a lil less than 10% of water every other day. All the fish are happy & healthy. Looks like my bio-filter held up, at least enough while I was gone!! I will let it settle & see how it does over the next week. My next steps are to add more plants, get a multi-leveled natural deco to create height in my column aquarium) then maybe add Eco-Complete (IDK... I may just do sand & stick w/ plants that are ok w/ not being stuck in the substrate) but I'm in no rush. We'll see... I like surprising myself as my ideas/plans morph as I learn more.

that sounds great! I will be going out of town soon and am nervous about my fish for sure!

I want to see cory pics. I am so looking forward to eventually getting some!!

Ok, I'll take some. It's hard to do b/c they're fast & busy! They are so cute, they remind me of toddlers or puppies how they're non-stop & seem to be searchin for something!

Not having very much success in capturing a close-up shot of the Corys. Best I could do...

image-3485693247.jpg

image-587702031.jpg

image-4158222031.jpg

Back
Top Bottom