Fishwrangler's 75gal Salty Adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I want the canister as a water polisher, and I'm not sure if pumps alone will be able to polish like I want.
I'll see what I can rig up with the DIY ATO this weekend.
I see salinity swings from 1.022-1.025 over the course of a few days. Will this swing severily effect inhabitants?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
A polishing pad in the sump will work better and be cheaper IMO.
BRS again(sorry but no one else has these) just started carrying the CPR prefilter pad "cut to fit"!
$6.99 24x15.
209020-lifegard-prefilterpad-a1200rs.jpg

That is the one!!!!!!
Implement it in your sump some how.
What are you testing the salinity with?(hydrometer,refractometer,digital)
I will let some of the better coral keepers speak on the swing though.

Hydrometer

Edit- the canister has a 25 micron filter so I would have crystal clear water. Not sure how many microns thay pad is though.

But for FOWLR is it fine? I don't have and probably won't have corals, for a while that is

I wouldnt add any more than two clowns to a 75 gal. Maybe if you have a 300 id add 4 clowns. In that small of a tank they will likely fight and youll end up with one or two left anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok so current stock list looks like 2 ocellaris clowfish, 1 royal gramma, 1 sixline wrasse, 1 foxface lo, 2 pink spotted watchman goby, and maybe 1 longnose hawkfish.

Progress update on the light housing: all the wood has gotten 2 coats of stain and now I need my dad to install all the wiring so I can brush on the polyurethane. I'll post some pictures of it later today.

Thanks . The inside is done getting polyurethane and is now waiting for lights. Once thats done the outside will get finished

Very nice hood!(y)
img_3241813_0_6f7448d4b649c494a4eb1cc168de0391.jpg

Do I smell new lights that will fit in it???:popcorn:

I have a quad t5 ho fixture that I'm using for parts. 3 whites and 1 antic blue

Just saw your comment so that's the reason for the late response

Hey I noticed you said 3 whites? I know this isn't a coral tank but some of the beautiful florescent capable fish can really be brought out under a true actinic light. They also have 50/50 white actinic bulbs. You could really make the fish pop without expensing coral bulbs.

I have 4 white bulbs that came with the light fixture. Was going to use those for my whites. If when I get an anemone in 6 months I'll switch to better bulbs.

Hey I noticed you said 3 whites? I know this isn't a coral tank but some of the beautiful florescent capable fish can really be brought out under a true actinic light. They also have 50/50 white actinic bulbs. You could really make the fish pop without expensing coral bulbs.

actinic lighting makes my coral pop yes , but I have yet to see in my years of reefing seen my fish stand out under actinic lighting , they show more brilliant color under the whites ,

RESULTS!!! Nitrites are zero zilch nada :D didn't test ammonia because it was already zeroed last time I tested and nitrates because I have 0 trites. Salinity is 1.023 and ph is 8.0, I recalibrated my ph meter to make sure it was right.

Used some h2o2 on the hair algae 2 days ago, and today I have 90% less hair algae in the spots treated.

2 clowns will be in sunday morning. How big of a pwc should I do? 50%?
Pwc will be done Saturday or friday

Edit- plan is pwc Friday night, check levels sunday, add clowns amd watchman gobies sunday. Going to make new salt 1.022 SG and do a long drip acclimatization on the fish. Lfs SG is 1.017

2 clowns will be in sunday morning. How big of a pwc should I do? 50%?
Pwc will be done Saturday or friday

Edit- plan is pwc Friday night, check levels sunday, add clowns amd watchman gobies sunday. Going to make new salt 1.022 SG and do a long drip acclimatization on the fish. Lfs SG is 1.017

However much to get the nitrates in the 5-10 range. The lower the better.

I've dripped all my inverts and fish at least 3 hours.

Caleb

Ok, will have to check them before I do the pwc.

How many drops per second where your acclimatizations? 1-2ish?

Have a fish question. What should I feed the clowns and gobies? I have heard that flakes and frozen are bad for water quality. My dad said that I should feed flakes though so I'm confused now...

Back
Top Bottom